From:
Chris Perth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:34:01 -0600
Hi again... Forgot to ask a couple of things!

--> Does anyone know if ferret kleptomania vanishes with age?!! :-) Or
will Salma continue stealing EVERYTHING she can get her cute paws on?!

It s so funny, but I gotta say it has been a battle trying to wrap
presents when everything keeps disappearing then showing up (in a blink
of an eye!) inside one of their play-buildings!  (They got tall apartments
I made with taped cardboard boxes full of levels and holes, bedrooms,
balcony and so on--they seem to love it so I hope I get some present this
year that come in boxes!)

She waits until I look away, runs quietly, steals, hides the thing, runs
back to her original position (usually on the floor next to me) and looks
at me with those innocent eyes like nothing happened!  Then I notice
something s missing, first I think I ve gone nuts cause it was just right
there a second ago, then I remember Salma!!!  Blink, blink What?! :-P
That one song It wasn t me was made for her!  But I ve caught her
red-handed over and over ;-)

Oh and I think one time she was trying to TELL ME something!  I was taking
a bath and something fell out of a magazine I was reading.  It was a piece
of paper with the address of a ferret-ignorant vet (to which I will only
go there to care for ear mites and maybe not even then they could ve
killed Logan for not even knowing how to take care of a simple ferret
diarrhea!).  So I let the paper lying there on the bathroom floor, and
when I came out the paper was gone!

I started looking for it in Salma s hiding places (which are infinite
since they are all free roam/never caged), but to my surprise the paper
was not where I expected, but rather INSIDE one of their TOILETS covering
a little poop!  Since neither Leeloo nor Logan ever cared to steal
anything made of paper, it really must have been Salma Who either just
wanted to show me WHAT should I do with the address of this bad vet once
and for all, or who just wanted a handy piece of paper to wipe herself?
LOL!!!

Just thought was a wacky story, and weird cause all pieces of paper and
cardboard (like little boxes, she loves boxes!) that Salma has stolen she
always hides somewhere, but none of them 3 either sleeps, eats or brings
any of their precious toys or stolen objects near their toilet areas!

Again I wonder if Salma will steal less once she s older Which I don t
mind really (and would actually miss!), I much rather she would grow out
of digging and biting the carpet!  (Something the other two never did)
So here's the last question:
--> Is digging on carpets only a young ferret thing?  Do they ever grow
out of it without you having to scruff them all the time (which is
impossible since she digs the most when I m not home and she tried to get
inside my bedroom).  I would hope so, cause from the look of the hole
Salma s made I think can kiss my deposit goodbye

Well, thanks for any answers or ideas!

Big hug and dooks again,
Chris, Logan, Leeloo and Salma (kleptomaniac and carpet-digger of the
family yet sooo sweet!)