From:
MS JEANNE E STADTMILLER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 1995 13:43:00 EDT
To:  Dale Miller

I am a little concerned about a post directed to you from Debbie Riccio
regarding your ferret's enlarged spleen.

Ferrets do commonly have enlarged spleens.  Being part of the lymph system,
an enlarged spleen is a sign that something is wrong.  Plenty of times,
that "something wrong" can be a mere cold or virus -  but not always.  I am
very concerned by Debbie's apparent casual attitude about enlarged spleens.
 Most likely - and certainly HOPEFULLY, the enlarged spleen WILL be gone in
a month or so and it was just a reaction to a virus or cold.  BUT, it is
not up to Debbie, myself - or you to make that determination.  Perhaps it
is not necessary to get excited about an enlarged spleen - but it is
certainly something to be concerned about -  concerned enough to have a
qualified veterinarian make a determination to "let it go and watch".

Let me cite a quick example:  Fred is a 4 year old Albino male who came
into our shelter a couple of months ago.  Since he arrived, Fred started
losing massive amounts of hair and was diagnosed as adrenal tumor.
However, Fred has been eating, drinking and playing ok - in fact, more than
okay!  It was decided to have Fred's adrenal tumor removed while he was in
such good condition -  and when he was opened up for tumor removal, the vet
discovered small pieces of his spleen had migrated around his abdomen - and
his slightly enlarged spleen has an area that is susceptible to rupture.
However, because of the massive amount of blood contained in the organ -
and the nature of the adrenal surgery, the spleen removal will be done as
soon as he has "recuperated".

My point is -  do NOT take an enlarged spleen too casually -  and don't
make the determination to "wait and see" based on food, water and playtime
-  Check in with your vet and let him decide.
                      Jeanne Stadtmiller
                      Ferrets and Friends of Upstate New York