From:
Sandi Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 08:37:07 -0500
Since I've had a few people ask,I'll explain.

I work at a job which is long hard hours,48-60 normally a week.That
leaves basically Sunday to get ferret cages done ,laundry & such.And
adoptions.As well as to cut grass,any social life,(thats a joke).  I try
to cover a tri-state area.I have had ferrets surrendered from Tn,Ga,Fl
as well as N.Al.Most people will meet me halfway.And I've adopted out to
Tx,In,Ga,Fl,& Al,Ok & Co.

I've asked people to volunteer.I've tried to get a club started here with
no sucess.I know of 2 places local selling ferrets,so I know they are
here.Just nobody wants to do a thing to better the knowledge of ferrets.
Have had many tell me to do such & such to help with fundings,lots of
ideas but no help to get it done.

I've been told I have a good set up,I have 2 rooms,one is for special
needs,as in hospice or those so timid as not to do well with a larger
crowd.They are free roam 24/7.They have all kinds of beds & play
things.The other room is where most are.They too have their own room.I do
3 rotations in this one as not all get along.I have my Midwest cages up
off the floor by 3 feet.Make sit easier to clean if it's not on the
floor.I have several of these I clean daily.I also use ramps with hand
towels pinned on them so as the ferrets can get into the cages & not hurt
their feet.Every one in that room gets at least 5 hours a day out of cage
to play & be free within that room.I just don't understand how some could
only let the ferrets out of the cage to clean it & back in the ferret
goes.Put yourself in that spot,would you like to be stuck in a small room
& never really get out?  Kinda like being in a jail cell.They really do
need at least a couple hours a day out.

Cages have cards on them of who goes in what cage with who,what rotation
period & any medical imfo.As well as pics of the ones in that cage.

While I'm a shelter op,I realize there are many out here like me,doing
it on their own.It's very hard sometimes.Like Helen said,when you're so
tired already & must still plod on as there's a sick baby to save.I love
what I do or I wouldn't be doing it,but at times I need some help.And as
I'm basically the only shelter within the state (N.Al had one but she's
not responding to emails/calls from people,speak up ,Michelle) there is
a need for a shelter here.

Florence,Suzanne,Karen & Margaret ,& Phyl came down & helped one weekend.
We got so much done in a short time with lots of laughter all weekend.
They were a God send & I can never repay them for the blessing I
recieved.Poor Suanne never flinched as she was biten,Sqweakers hanging
onto her ,ferrets just love her tender skin.And when I go in for major
surgery in Oct,Phyl will be *babysitting* the shelter kids for me.And
Stacey,my local volunteer will help as she is able to.As she has 2 kids &
a family & critters of her own,she not able to be here as often as we
both wish she could.

I've recently adopted out 3 older girls to good homes.And one is being
fostered,also an older sweetie.Have some adoption interviews where I'm
stood up waiting for them to call/show.Just love those.

Thanks to everyone for the understanding & prayers,help.It means more
than you'll ever know.

--
Sandi
Heaven Scent Ferret Rescue/Shelter