From:
Erica Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 16:24:20 EST
It's been all of three weeks and I've acquired another fuzzie!  (I promised
myself to wait until spring- sigh) Her name is Juliet and she's a two-year
old sable from a shelter in Baltimore.  I brought Napoleon to the shelter
to see who she'd like and who I'd like and see who may have been available
to bring home with us.  Needless to say- she and Juliet hit it off very
well!  They pal'd around for about an hour as I set up the paperwork and
everything so I could take Juliet home.  There has only been two very minor
"differences of opinion": Juliet chomped on Napoleon's neck and poor 'Poli
didn't know what to make of it!  Much squeaking- but when Julie stopped (I
tapped her on the head as a warning first) 'Poli didn't run away or even
look offended!  All the talk of theatrical ferrets of late, I thought
Napoleon wouldn't be one of them!  She rarely dooks or hisses otherwise!
Sigh....

Juliet seems to be in good health.  Nice soft fur and alert expression,
lots of energy, crazy about toes in or out of socks.  (Remember lick lick
lick CHOMP!  I'll break that habit yet!  I have a citrus air freshiner
that's 100% natural that I'm spraying on my toes before I go in to play and
a firm tap on the nose with a stern "no!" that has averted her so far.)
She must've had a broken tail that nobody noticed because the very tip is
crooked and definately bone.  It doesn't bother her though- even when I
fussed with it to see what was wrong initially.  She also has what looks to
be a puncture behind her left ear.  The woman at the shelter thought she
may have caught herself on the cage- but I'm more likely to think that it
was one of her cagemates.  I'm not sure if I should put a dab of Neosporin
on it and not worry, or take her in for a quick look by the vet in case
it's serious.  Again- it doesn't bother her at all unless I pick her up to
look at it closely.  I'm probably being overprotective.

I was also thinking.  Do ferrets need salt in their diets?  Both ferrets
now have licked my toes and fingers trying to get to the salty/sweaty parts
between them and I wasn't sure if that was normal.  I could get a salt
lick, but I don't want them to get too much salt!  Perhaps an occasional
treat of Pedialite will do the trick?

One last thing before I go... I'm in Baltimore and I'd like to get together
with others who are interested every now and then to chat and have a
play-for- all.  I just am unsure about joining a 'club' with dues and all
that jazz.  Let me know if anyone is in the area!

Erica
Napoleon (MoM!  That new girl is such a pig!  I should teach her manners
          and clean her ears!)
Juliet (Nice digs!  You gonna eat that?  Munch Munch Munch!)