From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 12:54:10 -0400
Alexandra, you didn't know because blindness is not particularly hard on
most ferrets.  Their most important sense is smell.  BTW, you can use
small to help her avoid bumping into furniture, door frames, etc. and to
navigate.  Just use baking extracts or safe essential oils (some herbs,
some flowers, fruits, etc.).

BTW, stink is status.

I enjoyed the post that noted the importance of scent marking when a new
ferret is added.  Boy, is that smack-dab on!  Our's will "miss" litter
boxes more if we have human guest over, too.  It is their way of saying
"This is MY house!  So there!".

I think that there are lists of hazards also in
http://www.ferretcentral.org
as well as listed many times in the FML archives (See header for address.)
and in books and such.

Here are just a few: Carrots and other hard veggies, latex and rubber
toys and items (like zip drive feet), dog animal-product chews that have
not been softened till they are soft (which is why it is better to use
Foamy Fires, Cheweasels, or Marshall Chews), plastic bags for some,
plastic packing material, washing machines, motors, gas feeds for stoves,
electrical cords or outlets, many prescription and over-the-counter
medications like Tylenol or Allegra, etc.

For those who don't know, SOS, has federal 501(c) status for checks
written to them and sent to them (I believe that Judith's address is
usually the one given) can be deducted on your taxes.