From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 09:50:32 -0400
>Wondering what people's experiences have been with ferrets and newborns.
>We have a ferret and aren't quite sure what to do when we have a baby.
>Honest realistic responses would be appreciated.

Take it slow and easy.  The ferrets will adjust to a baby just fine, but
give them time to do so and lots of love.  I know from personal experience
that free time becomes a "more valuable then gold" commodity when you have
a baby, but do what you can to spend time with your pets too.  That will
make all the difference in the adjustment period.

As others have said, make sure all animal (ferrets, dogs, cats, etc.)
contact with your baby is supervised.  This will prevent an animal from
hurting the baby AND the baby from hurting an animal.  (Babies have
amazing grips.)  Don't make assumptions on behavior.  Spend the time.

When your child gets older, remember it is NEVER to early to teach them how
to treat animals.  My son Robin is nearly a year and a half.  Animals of
all sorts excite the pants off of him.  He shrieks with excitement.  That
makes most animals run in terror, but he still gets to pet some.  We help
him pet the animals - not pull their ears, fur, or tails.  Little kids
like to grab things, it's natural.  You have to take time to teach them to
stroke or pat the animal.  Robin has now taken to patting animals, calling
them "baby" (his own idea), and giving them kisses.  Tails (especially cat
tails) are still too grab'able, however.  Some work still to go...;)

-kim, pippi (hi-ya, Robin!), atlas (who?), jinx (hmmmm.....), and
 rosie (is he a toy?)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.