Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:49:19 -0500
Today I took my male and girl to get their annual distemper shots.  They
were okay until about 5 minutes from home.  They both were making gagging
sounds.  Upon leaving vet she informed it was very rare for them to have
reaction.  So about ten minutes later we left for home.  By the time I
got home it was bad.  They both had blood literally pouring out of them.
They were lethargic and so on.  I called emergency care but they were a
hour away my vet had closed till Monday.  Go figure.  Well found vet to
take them in.  Gave them cortisone shot, antibacterial shot, amoxicillan
(not good w/spelling) and pepto.  He said the blood was very uncommon.  I
don;t know what went wrong but for both of them to have same reaction was
not common.  I have to wait till Monday to call and tell her.

Could it be a bad batch???  I am so nervous now.  Both are sort of
sleeping in cage but do not want to be there.  Have to wait till morning
to give them food & water.  But I let them have a little sip.  After what
they have been through tonight........They sent me home with pepto,
Amoxicillian & Prednisone.  Amoxicillan to give all week and the other
two only if needed.

Has anyone ever had this happen to their ferrets.  It is my first tragedy
with them I am so shaken up.  I just want some input from people who have
gone through this before.  After tonight I am so leery of the vets up her
in no where land.

Thank you for anyone's response.

Donna, Harley & Whiskey