From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 1998 11:57:38 +0400
Andrea Mercado wrote yesterday about the Pedialyte "popsicles." These really
are a good answer to the problem of Pedialyte's short "shelf life" once
opened.  I have a few questions about Pedialyte that I hope our brain trust
on this list can answer:

1. What is Pedialyte (pediatric electrolyte solution) anyway?  Specifically,
what is in it that "goes bad" or disappears once it's opened?

2. What's in the flavored Pedialyte?  Are there sweeteners or other things
that maybe we shouldn't give to insulinomic or other compromised ferrets?

3. What's the deal with the packets of dry ingredients for solution?  I
seldom see them mentioned.  Is it because they're not widely distributed?
Are they too expensive?  Would you not recommend them for some reason?  Do
we have any idea what their shelf life might be?

4. Would it be possible for someone, in an emergency, to make up their own
solution to use until they could obtain the "real stuff"?  I guess I'm
thinking of infant Oral Rehydration Therapy (ORT) solution used to combat
diarrhea--that's basically clean water, sugar, and salt.

Thanks,

-- Lee