From:
Stan Siatkowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 11:32:36 -0400
Well, this discussion seems to be continuing...

You can argue forever about "ferrets are the 3rd most popular ... pet".  I
guess we all agree that dogs and cats are 1 & 2 in any numerical list that
will include ferrets.  But as for just "pets", I'd guess tropical/gold fish
rank #1 overall.  There are probably a lot more mice and other rodent pets
out there, and probably budgies as well.

So if you really find it necessary to make a factual statement that includes
the words "ferrets are the 3rd most popular ... pet" you need to qualify
"pet" to some degree.

I wouldn't use "domestic".  That implies "tame" and "living with and cared
for by man".  (Seems to me that "domestic pet" is a redundant term.) In any
case, hamsters and mice and such fit that definition, and are nore numerous
pets than ferrets.

"Domesticated" implies "tamed or adapted to live with man".  Cats and dogs
are domesticated, (and "domestic") but can survive in the wild.  Same for
rabbits and mice.  Of course, so are cows, horses, pigs and sheep (not that
they're generally considerd as pets).  I'll bet ferrets *could* survive
wild, given an opportunity and a friendly enough environment, but that's
another discussion......

"Companion" pets can include anything, depending on the individual animal
and the owner.  Some rats, for example, might be good "companion" animals,
others not, so I wouldn't use that term for this discussion.  Same thing
goes for "interactive" or "self-aware".

I think I'll stick with my description - "3rd most popular predatory
mammalian pet".  And I use the term "predatory" in the sense that the animal
is *capable* of hunting and eating another, not necessarily that it does or
needs to in order to survive.

Of course, that makes ferrets 3rd in a 3 horse race.  I can't think of any
other "domestic" or "domesticated" mammal species that qualify, although
people do keep pet skunks, raccoons, bears and other "companion animals".

Mookie's shedding fur all over the place, so I know they're mammals, and
Gromit just stalked, attacked and tried to run off with my toe, so I know
they're predators.  I think that's all I have to say on the subject.

<-------Stan Siatkowski------<<<        Stan & Terrie in Toronto with
<---Toronto Archery Supply---<<<      Mookie,Cecil,Psycho,Cocoa,Stash
                                                and GROMIT!