From:
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 12:23:42 -0800
Just learned something new about the FDA and colloidal silver...

I hadn't looked on their site in several months but was prodded to do so
because of queries sent to me through email.

Since 1997 the Center for Veterinary Medicine of the FDA has stated that
colloidal silver is NOT suitable for use in any animal.  This was
republished on line earlier this year.

    COLLOIDAL SILVER NOT APPROVED

    [...]
    FDA is not aware of any substantial scientific evidence that supports
    the safe and effective use of colloidal silver ingredients or silver
    salts for any animal disease condition. Also, in the October 15, 1996
    Federal Register, FDA proposed to establish that all over-the-counter
    human drug products containing colloidal silver ingredients or silver
    salts for internal or external use are not generally recognized as
    safe and effective and are misbranded.
    [...]

As of last month however colloidal silver is apparently not allowed to be
sold for us in humans as a labelled medicine.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/departs/1999/699_upd.html

    FDA Bans Colloidal Silver Products, Cites Lack of Data

    [...]
    Under a rule recently finalized by FDA, drug products containing
    colloidal silver or silver salts are not recognized as safe and
    effective. These products, labeled to treat a wide variety of
    illnesses in adults and children, including AIDS, cancer, syphilis,
    scarlet fever, shingles, herpes, and pneumonia, have caused some
    people's skin to take on a permanent blue-gray discoloration.
    [...]

And a word of caution to those who still insist on pushing this quack
medicine on the FML and to ferret owners, it would be very hard to do any
ferrets in any shelter or anyone's home any good from prison.  Several
other 'miracle' cure type things have been touted on the list.  I'd advise
caution on the use of tonics, medicines and even some diets that claim some
sort of curative powers over cancers and the like.

A couple has been sent to prison for touting ozone and colloidal silver as
'miracle cures' much as several folks here have stated.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/departs/1999/699_irs.html

    [...]

    Kanzyme II was colloidal silver, also an unapproved drug (see "FDA
    Bans Colloidal Silver Products, Cites Lack of Data" in this issue).
    Thiefault promoted and sold it as an accompaniment to ozone therapy
    for treating cancer. Product literature claimed the product replaced
    the body's store of silver, a substance lacking in cancer patients.
    However, FDA is not aware of any scientific studies that support
    this claim.

    OCI's investigation, complemented by a multi-year IRS investigation,
    led in 1998 to a seven-count indictment against Thiefault and Barber.
    FDA-related charges focused on the couple's involvement with ozone
    generators and not the unapproved drugs because the devices appeared
    to be their main business thrust--and source of income, according to
    OCI.

    [...]

I'd be very careful about making the entirely unsubstantiated claims about
c.s. curing ANYTHING.  I have no worries about any legal ramifications of
anything I have ever stated about colloidal silver.

Some folks claim that only colloids of given sizes are good, other sizes
are bad.  Other folks claim different sizes are safe.  While still others
claim all colloids will be the exact same size due to the process used to
create all colloidal silvers is effectively the same.  Some say only yellow
c.s. is safe.  Others claim whatever color they happen to sell is safe.
But its always what the particular 'writer' is selling that is better.
Uh huh...

To me its a "buy mine" type of issue.  No colloidal silver products are
known to be safe or effective.  None.

I think I'll trust the ONLY experts that are involved - those at the FDA.

bill