Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:44:22 -0500
Could you please post this letter on the FML for me?  I'm not sure if you
can copy and paste the attachments (might be too long).  But I'm hoping
this will move my fellow Canadians to take action, to speak up for the
little ones who cannot do it for themselves.  Wherever they are in
Canada, maybe they could go out of their way a little and visit some of
these stores to express their concerns as well.  The more people speak
up, the closer we'll get to the changes that are seriously needed.
Consumers have far more power than they think.  And I don't want to limit
this to just Canadians.  I would like to encourage people everywhere to
email these people to let them know they're not happy about what they've
heard.  And thanks to everyone in advance for their efforts!

Thank you Troy Lynn.  From me, my little ones and the little ones who
need our help.

July 30, 2003

Lisa Reid
Customer Relations Department
Super Pet Corporate Office
1515 Matheson Blvd. E.
Suite #214
Mississauga, ON
L4W 2P5

Dear Lisa;

This is a follow-up to my e-mail dated July 11, 2003 (see attachment).

In this letter, I requested a response within ten business days detailing
what action Super Pet will be taking to ensure my concerns about the
care, maintenance and safety of ferret kits in your stores are being
addressed.

Although you did respond regarding how a store has set up a "play pen"
for their kits, my concerns regarding housing, clean food and water, and
safety issues were not addressed.  No matter how unsatisfactory this may
be, it has been to the ferrets' advantage.  For in my research, something
quite shocking came to light.  This being that Super Pet and PJ's Pet
Centers are sister companies sharing two very important facts:

1. They are both under the same ownership
2. The both have the same Bird and Small Animal Director (Purchaser) -
   Janna Price

This was shocking for one very simple reason.  Although the conditions I
have witnessed at Super Pet involving ferret kits is unacceptable, PJ's
overall conditions for all their animals are not just unacceptable, but
in many cases deplorable and inhumane.  I am speaking from both personal
experience and the feedback I've received from friends, family, business
associates and acquaintances.

I have yet to hear and positive feedback regarding any PJ's stores.
Instead there remains one constant - none of these people will return to
these stores at any cost.  They would sooner inconvenience themselves
financially and time-wise, by going to your competitors for supplies.
Many are dealing directly with registered breeders that have a solid
reputation regarding the quality and care of their animals.  This can't
be good for either Super Pet OR PJ's profit margins.

So in light of this new information, I'm expanding the scope of changes
required for all ferret kits to include PJ's Pet Centers as well.  This
shouldn't prove too difficult as Janna Price will be responding on behalf
of both companies.  It's also my understanding that Ms. Price visits the
stores on occasion, which honestly makes me question her knowledge (or
lack thereof) of ferrets.  All my concerns deal with the very basic
requirements of these animals, which are not being met.

I look forward to your response within five business days regarding how
both Super Pet and PJ's Pet Centers will be making the necessary changes
to ensure proper care and maintenance of the ferret kits in all stores.

Regards,
Suzanne Owens

Troy Lynn Eckart, F.B.S.
Ferret Family Services