From:
Kitty Hollerith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 15:37:49 -0500
Does anyone know what the findings ended up being in the MO baby with
missing fingers case? Because there are nasty negative ripple effects
taking place concerning ferret PR. Even if it is proven the ferret
(obviously) had nothing to do with that horrible situation a lot of
damage has been done. The FML of Mar 9-10th had a posting from Lisa
Oestereich that pointed to an article in The Washington Times (3/08/11)
about Californians fighting for ferrets......

"Wildlife officials say ferrets also pose a threat to small children,
pointing to reports that a 4-month-old baby in Missouri had several
fingers chewed off by his family's pet ferret in January."
article by Terence Chea of the Associated Press (3/07/11)

I know I've read two or three other pieces that refer to the MO
incident basically using the incident to place ferrets in a very
negative light. It is awful that this terrible situation has partially
turned into an example of the dangers of ferret ownership without
either proof or a retraction .This kind of thing seems to be a symptom
of our culture's fascination with the sensational reality TV/Blogs etc
etc (Charlie Sheen anyone) which brings me to Mike Tyson....

Without his sensational and infamous past I doubt Mike Tyson would have
been offered his own show. Getting sober is commendable, without the
horror (again, think Charlie Sheen and his record breaking, 1,000,000
new pals) of his past behaviors and tragedies he would be far less
marketable. I wish him the best in his efforts. Being in recovery
myself I know it takes a lot of work to change and two years is a drop
in the bucket after a lifetime of abuse. I find it in very poor taste
on the part of The Animal Planet to highlight Mike Tyson as any kind of
animal expert when there are so many others who have dedicated years to
the care and study of critters.

Anyway, in this day and age of instant communication ," the truth"
often seems to be the big loser. Even if a retraction is ever printed
about the poor little MO ferret will anyone see/hear it as corrections
are usually buried deep within the paper/broadcast, while wild
accusations are headlines.

Does anyone know what has happened with the MO case. Of course from
what I've read and watched it does not seem as though the CA Fish and
Game people care much about the truth.

Have you loved on your ferret(s) today?