From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:38:25 -0500
Note that there are some human health refs used in this post.

Still always remember that ferrets are not people (a number of things
that are safe for us are poisonous to ferrets and vice versa) and that
these expert comments on veterinary health about members of Carnivora
have to be remembered:

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/Plants/aloe.aspx
>Scientific Name:
>Aloe vera
>Saponins
>Clinical Signs:
>Vomiting, depression, diarrhea, anorexia, tremors, change in
>urine color. If your pet ingested this plant, contact your local
>veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at
>888-426-4435.*

The * refers to the $65 fee to pay for the work of these veterinary
toxicology professionals. See the link for the full info at that
location.

Such a note applys specifically to the unaltered plant.

Why to not use the unaltered plant as a salve:
<http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-expert-poison-control/aloe.aspx>

This following applies specifically to human uses but it may be useful
to see if it includes what might sufficiently modify the specific
saponins of Aloe vera into safer compounds:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/u6t05347304v061w/

and

The _PDR for Herbal Medicines_ -- again a HUMAN reference so do not
assume that everything that applies to humans applies to ferrets nor
that everything safe for humans in safe for ferrets -- Notes several
anti-inflammatories and the potential for more with perhaps the major
one being the salicylic acid (an aspirin chemical relative) Besides
salicylic acid in relation to anti-inflamatory actions it also mentions
inactivation of bradykinin formation via carboxypeptidases (Look it up
for yourselves.), inhibition of histamine formation so think in terms
of allergies in relation to that (like an antihistamine action -- and
a note on those that while plain Benedryl in correct doses is safe for
ferrets there are a number of other human antihistamines including at
least one of the newer ones that are fatal for members of Carnivora in
even rather small amounts), and there also appear to be some components
that reduce the oxidation of arachidonic acid which in turn reduces
prostaglandin synthesis and that also can reduce inflammation.

It would be useful for you to know WHICH of these is having effect
because that will narrow down the root cause of the inflammation and
then perhaps the problems can be cured rather than bandaged.

The text also tells more, including a method using alcohol (which again
modifies some compounds) for creating an antibacterial. It is thought
that the resulting product may interfere with bacterial osmosis.

There are also things that rumors say Aloe vera can treat which it
does not. For instance, a controlled study from 2006 found it to be
ineffective for IBS in people beyond placebo effect.

In humans its use (according to the PDR) is counter-indicated
when: intestinal obstruction or intestinal inflammation exist, ditto
ileus, appendicitis, or abdominal pain of unknown origin. It also
should not be given to children below the age of 12 according to that
text on page 23, or used during pregnancy or breast feeding.

In humans adverse outcomes of using it include these and more (lacking
time to put all): gastrointestinal spasms that can be painful,
arrhythmia, edema, accelerated bone deterioration, albuminuria and
hematuria with long use, loss of electrolytes (especially potassium
with prolonged use), with use of over 2 weeks people can experience
muscle cramping, headaches, paresthesia, tetany, peripheral edema,
polyuria, breathlessness, and hypertension. Some other side effects in
humans (and I am not listing all) include interference with medications
used for cardiovascular disease, diarrhea (which can become bloody with
long use), nausea,perianal irritation, kidney damage, hemorrhoids,
increased risk of colon malignancy with prolonged use (See studies by
Siegers, 1993, and by Schorkhuber, 1998), as well as ones like Avila,
1997 on cytotoxic aspects of the gel, and Mueller, 1999 on associated
mutagenicity. According to the text prolonged use by humans also can
cause damage to enteric nervous tissue. Historically, Aloe vera has
been used as to cause abortions and it can initiated premature labor
though not always. There are additional cautions in the text.

In addition it poses an increases risk of hypoglycemia for diabetics.
If that is just from medication interaction it may not perk up most of
those who are dozing, BUT if it can drop blood glucose in individuals
with insulinoma then pay it may be something people need to know about.

It should not be given with Digoxin, but the side effects already noted
such as the potassium depletion indicate that it probably should not be
given with heart disease, either.

People can look up studies in PubMed. You won't find any with ferrets,
but you can find the others mentioned and more:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

Again, in the original posts the writer did NOT mention that the Aloe
vera had been ALTERED. Cooking, soaking, steaming, adding other things
that may react with components, etc. all have the potential to cause
modification of components. The only things I could find in the short
time I had to look which MIGHT include what modifies Aloe vera saponins
included the Springer article and some patent applications, but patent
applications are not always reliable whereas juried articles have a
better chance of being so. Does cooking sufficiently modify Aloe vera
saponins, with or without additives that may have their own chemical
interactions with the saponins? I don't know.

On looking up saponins in general there is a lot on the saponins some
beans have (which is what cause the froth that happens with cooking
many beans, and saponins historically have been used as a detergent).
Some beans have the saponins come out easily with cooking but some do
not. For example:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf950721v

Notice that I am not referring to "saponin" singular but "saponins"
plural because they can vary among plants.

Many poisons are natural ones.