From:
Derek & Amy Flemming - Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 02:15:17 -0400
>... I brought this sweet little female home with me to see if I could find
>a home for her.  She had a very strong oder, not like my other ferrets,
>even after bathing.  I have had her for a month now without any luck
>finding her a home.  We are falling in love with her, even though I cannot
>afford another ferret.  One day, I was playing with her, scratching her
>belly, she likes this alot, and I noticed she doesnt have a scar from
>spaying.  Then I looked at her tattooed ear.  She only has ONE dot, not
>two.  She was never spayed.  I called the vet and he wants 95 dollars for
>this procedure.

Well ... if she has one dot in her ear - she has ahd SOME procedure done.
Seeing as she has an odor, I guess she is spayed, but not descented.  My
vet often spays my ferrets (as older kids) and makes a *very* small
incision.  I am talking just big enough for the tiny uterus and overies to
come out.  He also stitches them in a way that you can hardly feel the scar
tissue.  He stitches so there are no large outer stitches and then he uses
surgical glue on them.  I have had to SHAVE BELLIES to see the incision
mark on a gew "look-alike" girls (one I kept whole for breeding & one I
spayed).  That was the only way I could find out!  I suggest taking her
into the vet to have him help you figure out if she is spayed or not.

Amy Flemming

Flemming Farms - Michigan, USA
Breeding for Quality Ferrets
American, Australian, German, and New Zealand bloodlines
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521