From:
Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 21:03:24 -0600
I just had bloodwork done on one of my ferrets, a 5-year-old male named
Chocolate Moose.  My vet is concerned because two of his liver parameters
are high: SGPT is 430 compared with a normal range of 10-280 and alkaline
phosphatase is 56 compared with a normal range of 15-45.

The vet at Antech, the firm that did the blood analysis, is recommending
X-rays to see if his liver is enlarged.  However, X-rays are expensive.
I decided instead to treat Chocolate Moose with amoxicillin for two weeks
to rule out an infection.

So I have some questions:
1. How worried should I be about this?
2. Is it worthwhile to take X-rays? Will they tell me anything useful?
3. Are there other steps I should take?

Thank you in advance for any help you may have to offer.

Linda, Chocolate Moose, & Zipper