From:
Sherri Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 1996 01:49:45 -0500
Hi all . . .

One more comment about Pepper and his pennies--he's got them strewn across
the floor under my desk and he lays on top of them.  He looks just like a
tiny DEW dragon protecting his loot.  He acts like one, too--suspicious of
all who come near.  So cute!

Here's an observation that may or may not be true in general: Pepper is much
more *mellow* than my female ferts were.  Not that he doesn't play and dook
and wardance and get into all kinds of trouble--he just likes to be held
more than my females ever did.  He will snooze in my arms for up to 1/2
hour, as long as I keep a steady series of firm petting along his back.  My
girls didn't want to be held for more than 2 minutes, maximum.  Aside from
Pepper, I've met two other male ferts, and they also seemed more willing to
be cuddled and more mellow.  And my friend's female fuzzy is about the same
age as Pepper, and pretty much intolerant of being held for any length of
time at all, tho' she's very friendly and loves to play.

Anyone with a mixed group agree or disagree with me?  I know I've read that
there isn't a temperament difference between genders, but that doesn't match
what I've seen.  I haven't spend considerable time with ferrets not living
in my house, tho'.

We're keeping our ears open to adopt another fuzzy, and I may break down and
visit the pet store when they get their Christmas babies in . . . that's not
the ideal place for me to get a bud for Pepper, but I'm beginning to feel
impatient!

We've decided to get another male, mostly because of the size difference --
our dog is pretty fat and hyper, and can be awfully intimidating.  But . . .
if a female needed a home, we wouldn't turn her away, either--the gender
just isn't that important to us in the overall picture.

I'm in MN . . . so if there are any ferts nearby that need adoption, let me
know.

--Sherri