From:
Michele Paulhus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2009 17:14:41 -0500
>There is also NO law stating ferrets must be neutered or spayed before
>being sold as a pet. Another advantage to obtaining a ferret from a
>reputable breeder, is one of their intentions is to allow the ferret
>to go through it's first cycle (jills go into heat, hobs go into
>season"). This allows them to fully receive all of the hormones as
>they grow & develop.

Actually, there may not be a Federal Law on this--but there are most
definitely state laws. The Commonwealth of MA state law regarding this
is:

Chapter 131: Section 77. Ferrets; possession and use

Section 77. A person may possess a ferret (mustela furo or mustela
putorium furo) for the following purposes:--

(1) As a household pet; provided, however, that *such pet has been at
the time of purchase neutered or spayed* and has received inoculation
against distemper and rabies or other inoculations that the director
may require; and provided, further, that evidence of neutering, spaying
and inoculation is kept available for inspection by the director.

(I can provide the rest of the actual law, but didn't want to take up
needless space.) :-)

In RI, a permit must be obtained to have a ferret and to obtain the
permit, there must be proof of spay/neuter.

Thanks,
Michele
--
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the
sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed