Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:05:39 +0000
Hello to everyone,

Oreo's surgery was scheduled for Thursday, but I am sorry to report
that the determination has been made that he is just not well enough
to undergo such a tricky surgery. I did consult again with both our
regular shelter vet who sees him on a regular basis as well as the
surgical vet in order to determine what we can do for him. His blood
sugar last week was 39 despite him already being on prednisone and
diazoxide, which was concerning. We upped his dose of diazoxide and
he is a bit brighter, however in the past ten days or so since we
considered surgery, the tumor has grown quite a bit bigger and quite
a bit harder, it is involving more of his abdomen and even just trying
to debulk the tumor would be quite tricky with a low surgical survival
rate.

I cry every morning when I see how big the tumor has gotten and that I
can't do anything to stop it. You know all too well how hard it is to
see them fade a bit more each day. So I try to do something special
every day with him. We have special play times with paper bags, we have
special times with hopping around in the grass outside with the wind
blowing through his whiskers, I'm happy when I get soupy kisses when he
finishes his bowl of soup. He does seem a bit brighter on the increased
medicine and even played a little bit with me on the floor. He enjoys
snuggles with his friends and somehow manages the litter box. I have
noticed that he now lies on his back when he sleeps in his favorite
round bed that Rose German made especially for him. We he doesn't feel
well or is tuckered out, his favorite spot is in this bed next to the
St. Francis medal (and yes there still is a "glow" around him in the
mornings.)

We did receive a some of donations and all of it will go towards
keeping him comfortable for all the time he has.

We especially want to thank Rose German of Little Feet Ferret Retreat
who has been his champion since the day he came to us. She has made
special round beds for him, as well as special squares for him to get
in and out of is cage as well as to rest on while he eats his soup. As
well the bedding set that she recently put up on eBay helped us to buy
his diazoxide which he depends on we are lucky that there is a pet
compounding location nearby (Animal Pharm in Scituate, MA) which has
extended a discount to us. We love Eleanor Mead who has put up ferret
figurines and donated proceeds towards his medical costs. As well we
so appreciate Cathy Ryan for all the special vibes she sends to him
(as well as his St. Francis medal), Libby Nelson who has provided some
wonderful things for Oreo, his hospice buddies and Turbo (from Ohio).
We have received wonderful emails from California to New York. There
are many other people from Mass Ferret Friends, and wonderful eBayers
who have recently purchased some of our Dry Dook Soup and Ferret Faces
Greeting Cards. All those funds will go towards Oreo being able to see
our vet frequently, ensure he has whatever medicine he needs as well
as some herbal supplements.

While I am never surprised by how awful some people are who are
surrendering uncared for ferrets, I am always amazed by how kind the
really good ferret people are.....for one little boy with three legs
who had touched more than just my heart. Hug 'em all is what I say,
fur or no fur, skin and bones or fluff, fleas or no fleas

Maybe we can't change all the things in this big ole' world, but we
make such a difference in their little world.

Sincerely,
Diane Wall
South Shore Ferret Care