From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 17:10:39 -0400
I'm a bit worried that a new brand of "witch-hunt" may begin unless a
clarification is made.  Jim refers to us "knowing that there are" CA F&G
members on the FML.  Do we?  We know that someone who claimed to be one (and
I have no reason to doubt that) USED to be on the FML and said that it made
him/her (It's been a while so I don't recall which gender.) think that
ferrets are very reasonable pets.  That's a lot different from there being
CURRENT people who are.

Actually, there ARE people here who have been rumored to be such, but in
EVERY case I have heard about the rumor was FALSE (and down-right nasty).
The list included those who: ran shelters, rehabilitated abused or
handicapped ferrets, supported ferret health research and advances in big
ways, sent regular contributions to shelters, lived with ferrets for over a
decade sometimes 3,000 miles away from CA, belonged to the FML since
inception, and were otherwise EXTREMELY ferret friendly.  If rumors start up
about anyone because of the assumption that we MUST be getting spied upon
(We may be, but wouldn't such people be likely to lurk and avoid names?)
then folks should recall that rumors have very bad track records and usually
have more to do with the poster wanting attention than anything else.  (Yes,
I WAS the victim of such a rumor myself once during the life of the FML, and
know wonderful people who also went through that hell over the years, so I
have an excellent feel for how off-base these things are.) Tip: if anyone
tries to feed you rumors or hurt you with any just ignore them so they will
die off (the rumors, not the people).

Yes, a credit card can be useful, but with the huge increase in the specific
category of bankruptcies which are related to banks being careless and
people living high on the hog (as opposed to ones from reasonable causes) DO
be careful to not over-extend yourself for illogical reasons -- the laws are
sure to change in very strict and unpleasant ways soon.  Ferret health care
is NOT illogical, BTW.  Actually, like Melissa, we tend to think that those
with very restricted means who can't afford health care should not have pets
until they can handle emergencies.  What should one do in the meantime?
Donate time to an animal shelter, of course!!!!!

There's an e-mail postcard program which is coming out (soon?, now?  -- I
think the one laid on Steve may be a beta, not sure) from some old MITers
which will include the ability to take your own downloaded pictures of your
ferrets and mix them with your choice of title and your own message.  There
is also the possibility that they will be seeking sketches and sayings from
students in the future so that the enterprise can also help folks pay for
their college costs.  When we get our version working we'll send one to BIG
with what info we have so that it can be in whatever advertising issue comes
out after that time.

Speaking of postcards: we've found many domestic ferret holiday cards
FINALLY,after many years, but not holiday postcards (snail mail kind).  Have
you?

Sukie

[Moderator's note: Re F&G "spies"... well, who can tell?  People often write
a little note when they ask to subscribe and have claimed to be nearly
anything imaginable, including many people from various areas claiming to be
animal control officers.  And while I'm sure there are "influential" people
on the FML, I have no idea as to the real number or to the authenticity of
some of the claims subscribers make about themselves.  Finally, remember the
archives are available to anyone, so a "real" "spy" need not even subscribe.

Sukie, I did receive email "cards" from you twice in the last few days.
They looked fine to me, though note that not everyone on the FML has the
necessary computer equipment to decode and display them.  BIG]