From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 06:35:29 -0500
I want to reiterate what Kelleen has said about dogs and ferrets - I missed
the original post, but apparently someone made a statement that certain
breeds - such as terriers - may not get along with ferrets since the dogs
are by nature ratters.

Personally, I don't think breed makes a difference - it's how much control
you have over your dog and all in how you raise and train them.

Several years ago, my vet at the time discouraged me from keeping a pitbull
puppy - I've always regretted that.

WNYFLFA's Shelter Director has 3 dogs - a pitbull, a German Shep, and a
Chiauau (I know I butchered the spelling of that word!).  She has shelter
ferrets coming and going and has never had a problem with her dogs.  In
fact, she's found ferrets curled up with the pitbull in her crate.  I myself
own a lab/shep mix and a boxer - people are always amazed at how everybody
gets along in my house (I also have cats).

Any other scenario is just not allowed.  It's never been an issue in my
house - we all get along and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Modern Ferret Mag has asked me to do an article about this very subject -
please look for it in an upcoming issue if you want more info.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY