Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 09:37:55 -0600
I have a tremendous number of letters from people sending condolences
regardly Stella's passing away (I don't know the exact number because my
new account does not count messages.  OK, maybe it does, but I haven't
figgured it out yet).  I will be answering them individually, but until
then, please accept my thanks and appreciation for the sentiments.

The following to reply to a point touched on by private email from [an
anonymous person] who suggested my ultimate decision to withhold medical
treatment at the end of her illness was an implication that I had too many
ferrets to care for, which was why I have lost 4 in the past year.

First, my medical costs for 23 ferrets exceeded $4700 this last year.
Roughly $3000 of the total was for various surgeries and treatments,
including Stella's.  The rest was for medications, inoculations, etc.
The 23 distemper and rabies shots cost me $460 alone.  These costs hardly
demonstrate my ferrets lack medical care, and are substanial evidence that
they recieve substantial veterinary supervision.  (This is NOT an appeal
for funds; DO NOT SEND OR SUGGEST YOU SEND ANY MONEY!  I DO NOT NEED FUNDS.
If you want to help someone, offer your money to any number of shelters.
Check out Pam Troutman's STAR list if you need help).

Second, I am a "no-kill" caretaker.  That doesn't mean I don't understand
other people's decisions to euthanize a pet; I have just never been forced
into the decision.  I do believe strongly each living thing has the right
to a dignified death, free from fear, and in the security and warmth of
friends.  I believe that when my needs as a ferret caretaker exceeds the
rights of the ferret, it is time to back off and allow the expression of
fate to take place.  Another surgery would not have saved Stella; it would
have only caused a deterioration in the quality of her life.  I cannot
double-guess what the length of her life might have been one way or the
other, nor should I try.  All I can do, when the time comes, is to give my
beloved pets as good a death as possible.  It is my final gift to them.

Third, In the last year, I have lost Sandi, Crystal, Apollo, Moose, and
Stella.  If I extend that year to 13 months, I can add Foster.  I am losing
an average of one ferret every two months at the present, which is very
hard on the heart.  There are several reasons for this sudden upswing in
ferret deaths; business demographics is the predominate reason.  My
business is roughly composed of two groups.  One group is young, with an
average age of 2 years (1-3).  The other group is older, with an average
age of 6.5 years (5-8).  All the deaths have occurred in that older group.
Another aspect of my business of ferrets is that of the older ferrets, most
have come from shelters, and/or were adopted with medical problems.  I
believe both factors increase the deathrate, either from stress or disease.
In the case of Moose and Stella, they came from a garage breeder in Saint
Louis (now out of business).  Daye and Tori also came from there.  Moose
and Stella were same-age half-siblings and I strongly feel the breeder must
have accidently inbred a predisposition towards cancer.  Daye is the same
age as Moose and Stella and has already started to look haggard and sick.
Tori is a year younger, but looks old compared to other albinos of the same
age.  After speaking to other owners who own ferrets from this line, I
think the entire line is compromised.  I am relieved the breeder is out of
business.

I know that at this point in the demographics of my business, I could lose
another 3 or 4 by spring (based on age criteria, illnesses, etc.), but that
doesn't mean I want nor accept such losses.  At risk is Bear (already had 2
surgeries, one for adrenal), Fraggle (just started the "wasting away" some
older ferrets seem to do), Daye and Sam Luc (He's starting to slow down and
his fur is rough).  They are between 5 and 8 years of age, which means they
are geriatric ferrets.  That basically defines them as "at risk."  Each one
will recieve the best veterinary care possible--I go to perhaps the best
ferret vet in my area--but when the time comes, my house will become less
of a hospital and more of a hospice.  They will be granted the same dignity
and caring I hope will be given to myself when the time comes.  They are my
friends and they deserve it.

As for [the anonymous emailer] who brought this subject up, you will notice
I have not posted who you are.  While I think your post to me was rude and
unsympathetic of my recent ferret loses (and close call with my mother), it
did bring out some positive and perhaps useful discussion of the philosophy
of ferret stewardship.  Knowing who you are (and your associations) I would
not be paranoid to assume your email was meant to be rather nasty.  Shame
on you.  How would you feel if each of your ferret loses was criticized by
others?  I have had a lot of ferrets pass away this last year, but that
doesn't mean they are not missed.

Bob C and 19 Mo' Fun Nee Fur Its