From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 17:24:09 EST
I would like to know why Amy Fleming feels that after she ran a breeding
business here in the US, and sold her ferrets for a pretty penny, she
should ask that others cover her responsibilities on a vet bill that she
left when she moved to Australia and started a breeding business there?

While I strongly urge people to send donations to the shelter of their
choice, I would equally strongly discourage bailing out a breeder who
left a vet bill when they left the country.

I would also know what type of arrangements she made for anyone who adopted
or bought one of her ferrets who then later decides for whatever reason
that they can't keep it anymore.  Generally breeders and shelters agree in
their contract to take back any ferret that they sell or adopt out if the
new owner decides not to keep them.  Has Amy made arrangements for a
shelter to take in any of the ferrets she sold if they decide that they
no longer want them?  Or is that just not her problem anymore as well?

If she can't afford her responsibilities, maybe she should think twice
about continuing to breed ferrets in Australia that she will ship here
to the US.  She has already contacted several breeders about buying new
breeding stock from her.  Maybe she should use the income from that to
pay her existing vet bills, instead of running a beg-a-thon on the FML.

Anne