From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 1996 09:57:41 -0500
So far, 4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter is alive and well in Merrimack, NH.
Power has been out since Saturday evening and, according to recent reports
from the power company, may not be restored until Wednesday or later.

Fortunately, after the disastrous ice storm two years ago, when we lost
power for 2 full days and much water damage from burst pipes, I installed a
small electrical generator.  It's enough to keep the furnace and
refrigerator running, as well as a few appliances.  So the family and
fuzzies are keeping warm.

I've been turning off the generator at night.  The idea of a hot engine full
of gasoline running in the garage while I'm not nearby makes me nervous.
The house was 60 degrees F this morning when I got up at 5 A.M.  to start
the generator.  Of course the ferrets loved that, and were bouncing off the
walls.

Joan forgot to latch the living room door (where we keep the last of the
breakables and the formal Christmas tree).  I came back in from the garage
to find not a whisker waiting for me.  That always spells trouble.  Of
course they were all in the living room having a great time.

I caught all but Bud, our 4 year-old MF Alpha ferret.  He invited me to play
with him.  Whenever I made a move toward him, he'd dash under something.
When I reached under whatever, he'd sneak up behind me and ferret dance,
then speed under the next piece of furniture I finally cornered him under a
chair, up in the lining, and pulled him out.

With all of them out of the room, I had one remaining problem, I had left
the lights on in the living room - not good when you are powering the house
from a small generator.

I positioned my feet and legs to block the door as best I could, then
cracked the door just enough to squeeze my arm through to the light switch.
Of course that was not only enough room for my arm, but also for Bud.  He
sprinted back in, and did a ferret dance right in front of the door - French
door with floor to ceiling glass so he'd be sure I say him.

At that point I woke up Joan for reinforcements.  We finally cleared the
living room (I hope) of ferrets.  Joan went back upstairs to get a robe.  A
minute later I heard her yelling "Help!" I went up, and there in front of
the closed bedroom door stood a dozen ferrets anxiously trying to push open
the door so that they could plunge through.  Joan said later that it was
amazing how much power they had; she had a hard time holding the door shut.
Must be that "four-wheel" drive they have.

Anyway, I don't trust the fluctuating power from the generator, with my
computer's hard drive, so I've been temporarily cut off from the FML and
email.  (I'm at work now.) If anyway has been trying to email me, it may be
a few days until I can get back to them.

          Dick and Joan B. and 27 very lively fuzzies.