From:
Sue Savage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:12:43 -0700
I need some help with getting 2 of my ferrets to get along. I brought
Jasmine home Feb 6, so its been about 6 weeks. The 1st night was fine,
they (I had 4 at the time, now its 3) all seemed to get along ok, they
even all slept in the cage together. they were fine during the next
day. But that night, Lilo suddenly decided she wanted nothing to do
with Jasmine. She would scruff and shake her, but at the same time, she
was shaking all over. I re-arranged the panels in their 4 story cage
to have 2 separate areas, and I switch the 2 of them back and forth
between the areas to get them used to the others scent. I gave Jasmine
a bath a couple days after I got her, and I gave both of them a bath
Sunday so they would maybe smell like each other, but it hasn't really
helped much. I give them some limited interaction every day, until Lilo
looks like she's going to scruff her. Lilo still seems to be scared of
her, but I don't think it's quite as bad as it was in the beginning.
And I don't think it upsets Jasmine as much any more, either. A couple
times in the beginning, she would scream and poop, now she just kinda
cries. They are both about 2 years old. I got Lilo about 1 1/2 years
ago, and when I brought her home, one of the other ferrets didn't like
her, either. Gidget would scruff her every chance she got. It took
about 4 weeks to get the 2 of them to get along. I think I finally just
put them in bed together while they were sleeping, and when they woke
up, they were ok. I tried that with Jasmine and Lilo last week, and it
didn't really work. Lilo was ok for a little bit, then realized who it
was and scruffed her. I also tried putting some ferrettone on Jasmines
neck to no avail. Anyone have any other suggestions? Jasmine does have
a much stringer scent than any other ferret I've had, I don't know if
the has anything to do with it or not. They do have another playmate,
Bella gets along fine with them both.

Sue