From:
Caitlyn Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:55:05 -0400
Hi, everyone,

Shalom, Matan.  A change in your ferret's coat color does not mean she is
sick.  Adric started out life as a dark silver ferret.  Today he looks like
a dark-eyed white.  His fur is almost entirely a pure snow white.  He is a
big, beautiful healthy three year old and has never been seriously ill.

Adric's coat change was gradual, but it isn't always so.  Kerr Avon started
out life as a silver mitt.  Most of his fur was *dark* brown, with lighter
brown, gray, and white mixed in.  He had adrenal disease when he was a year
and a half old, and lost most of his hair.  When it grew back it was almost
all white, with just a few silver-gray patches at the shoulders and on his
tail.  The difference is startling.  Take a look at
http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/fuzzypages/aven.html
I really wouldn't worry about the color change.  If other symptoms occur,
though, I'd take your fert to your nearest experienced ferret vet.

To Tim Fowler: I can assure you that Matan did not bring his ferret in from
outside the country.  Israel simply doesn't permit bringing in pets when
someone makes aliyah (literally "return", usually referring to a Jewish
person migrating to Israel), at least not without a long quarantine, and
it is equally difficult to import pets.  This is one of the reasons I
won't be joining a lot of my family in Israel very soon.  I know it sounds
ridiculous to anyone other than a ferret owner, but I have one with very
special needs and I love my little guys.  I *will* make aliyah eventually,
but not until my ferrets are gone, hopefully after they've lived to a ripe
old age.

Also, Tim, please look back at the FML archives maybe two years ago when
there was a survey of where the ferret owners on the list were located.
You'll find that several were in Israel.  Chamoosim (ferrets) may not be
as popular a pet as they are here, but they do have ferrets as we know them
in Israel.  Please do not confuse biblical translation with modern Hebrew.
Unless his English is a lot worse than it would seem from his posts, I am
reasonably certain that Matan is talking about a mustelid, not a lizard.
FWIW, neither are kosher.

Finally, unless Matan lives in the territories (Judea, Samaria, or Gaza), I
doubt he or his ferrets are in much danger.  In Israel there has always
been the threat of terrorism from militant elements in the Arab community,
and far too often the threat of war.  Yes, there is more terrorism now,
but that too, will pass.  Most of the Israelis and Palestinians I have
met through my family or business want peace and to be able to live normal
lives.  Eventually I have faith that they will find a way to do that.
Also, please do not believe everything you read in the American press.

All the best,
Caity Martin (nee Feldman) and the exuberant eight