Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:25:15 GMT
>From:    Michaela Maurice <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: oldest ferret to have surgery And complete bilaterals
>Just curious about the age of the oldest ferret to undergo surgery.  I know
>there are risks but that it is still relative to the individual ferret.
>I'm quite curious how old the oldest is/was and how s/he is doing.

He probably isn't the oldest, but Cully, whom I mentioned yesterday, had
adrenal surgery (plus some biopsies) this last August at approximately 8
years of age.  He was an abandoned ferret, so exact age isn't known, but
I've had him for five years and a vet aged him at about 3 when he was
found.  He was a medium chocolate point Siamese champagne when he came
to me, and now he's a pale golden color all over with hardly any mask.
Anyway, he came through the surgery very well despite also having
insulinoma (mild at this point).  Post-op care was definitely more
intensive than it was when my other ferret Amelia had blockage surgery at
two years old; the pain definitely took some of his zest for life away, but
lots of attention perked him back up, and he's quite normal now.  Better
than before, actually, although his belly fur is taking its time growing
back.

I'd guess that the decision to do surgery on an older ferret really depends
on the overall condition of the ferret, and also expected life span.  Cully
has always been a very sturdy ferret, and I'm glad we went ahead with the
surgery.  However, with his insulinoma and lymphoma kinda putting limits on
his longevity, I don't know that I'd put him through surgery again, because
it seemed like the experience was mentally a little traumatic for him, and
I want him to have the best time possible in what he has left.  Hope I'm
not being too depressing here-- just using my case as an example of how I
make decisions about surgery.

Regina

Regina Harrison
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1083
Electra the Brujah's page:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Labyrinth/8096

Wrapped in my mongrel wings, I nearly freeze
In the howlin wind and drivin rain
All the trash blowin round 'n' round