Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 23:12:41 +1200
Hi Rick,

Good post in tonights (this mornings) FML.  Just thought I'd comment on a
few things:

>This topic seems to have drawn another line in the sand when it comes to
>Ferret owners.  Just like cage or not to cage, fix or not to fix, and my
>favorite Marshall or not a Marshall.

You're right, everyone has their own opinions, and they're all so vastly
different it can create some interesting byplay (byblows?) in the FML.

>It has been documented with domestic dogs, that if you feed them raw meat,
>they will be more aggressive.  Just ask someone who trains pitbulls for
>fighting (not something I endorse, but have read too much about).  These
>dogs are fed raw meat, kittens, and small puppies to bring out the
>aggressive behaviour in them so when they end up in a backyard fight, they
>only want to kill.

This part is the reason I'm writing :o)  The only evidence (documented or
otherwise) I can give on the topic of ferrets becoming more aggressive
because of feeding them raw meat is this... I have owned ferrets for over
nine years now (wow time flies!) and have fed meat throughout that time.
The only aggressiveness displayed by any of my ferrets was by kits, who
grew out of it, and rescues, who had been badly treated by their humans.
Gemn, my oldest (currently seven years of age) is extremely laid back, and
will readily allow people to hold her.  I admit, she does tell people when
she's had enough and will nip when she thinks it's time to leave.  Kovu,
my youngest at under a year, is the most laid back ferret I have ever met,
regardless of meat in his diet.  I can lay him on his back and massage him.
Even if he was in the middle of playing, he'll lie back, get this silly
grin on his face, and take everything I'll give him!

When it comes to getting their meat, these guys, except kits who don't know
better, are unfailingly polite in taking the meat from my hands.  I've met
Bob Church's ferrets, and even though they eat meat, every one of them was
polite (amazing, really!!) and I didn't receive a single nip, let alone
bite, while I was there - even though I fell asleep on the floor of the
ferret room, where all twenty-odd (of the time) remain free roam!  Almost
all the ferrets that I've met who have meat in their diet have been calm.

Now, I do realise that I likely would be seeing a fairly biased cross-
section of owners and ferrets.  After all, I have only met owners and
ferrets of wonderful ferret people who are interested in their animals
well-being (I've met many others interested in the same thing who do not
feed meat, please don't feel I'm saying feeding meat is a criteria for
this!), many of whom are FMLers themselves.  However, having said this, I
guess what I'm saying is that I believe that it's the care the ferret
receives that has the greatest impact on their character, not whether they
get meat or not.

Feeding them mice will make them more willing to hunt small animals,
particularly rodents.  Feeding them live mice will make them more
proficient in killing their prey.  In this way, they *can* become more
'aggressive' - not to humans, but to rodents and probably insects as well.
I personally wouldn't keep pet mice and a ferret who is given a diet
supplemented by live mice in the same room/area - it would be cruelty to
both species.

>Does this mean your little ferret will be taking on the neighborhood dog
>if you feed it live mice?  Its still too early to tell.  Remember,
>conclusive and confident evidence about ferrets is still not out there.
>Just like the FML, we all have our own opinions on these things.  Some are
>based on educational studies and personal knowledge.  Others are based on
>assumptions and opinions or prejudices.

I don't know of any studies made on these topics, it would be interesting
to see something along these lines.  I can only offer what I've seen and
noticed.

>Do I support feeding live or dead mice to Ferrets, NO.  I would hate to
>think that it might, in even the slightest way bring out aggressive
>behaviour in them.  That would cause them to bring any negative publicity
>to the Ferret community.  SOMETHING THEY DON'T NEED AND MAY ORGANIZATIONS
>HAVE SPENT TOO MUCH TIME TRYING TO LIVE DOWN.

Unfortunately, merely being a ferret is negative publicity as far as some
are concerned <sigh> however you're right.  Anything that creates negative
publicity is bad.  I can't personally see any of the aggressiveness you
fear to see, but if it did happen, I would agree with you that this would
be a bad thing to do.

>Bottom line, its your pet.  You are ultimately responsible for your
>actions and the actions of your pet.  You must do what you think is best
>for you and your pet.  But just feeding them mice because someone else
>says its best, well, thats for you to decide.  Just remember what are
>mothers use to tell us, "if your friend jumped off a bridge, would you do
>the same?"

If my friend jumped off a bridge just to jump off a bridge, I'd be
wondering about the sanity of that friend!  However, if that same friend
jumped off a bridge in order to escape something worse *on* the bridge, I'd
probably consider it.  (I think I've been watching too many action movies
lately.  Oh dear.)  As with all things, this decision lies solely in every
persons own preferences, morals and beliefs.

Sam