From:
bill and diane killian - zen and the art of ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 03:51:49 -0700
>From:    ferret <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Colloidal silver

This topic gets ugly but it shouldn't.  If anyone can cite anything that
legitimately shows any credible scientific evidence that colloidal silver
is anything other than possibly an obsolete topical antispetic there
wouldn't be so much opposition to the few that choose to poison their pets.

The biggest problem is that it is taken as an article of religious faith
that c-s works rather than viewed scientifically by the proponents of c-s.

>Actually, there is a lot of information posted about the benefits of
>colloidal silver

Every single time this subject gets broached we request such citations.

Every single time all that come back is ad hominem attacks and claims
citations that have not occured.

>including information from Syracuse University,

It has been shown very clearly that that is not true.  A medical center at
Syracuse uniersity had been improperly cited but that medical center was
actually a part of SUNY.  That medical center had never published anything
that supported the use of c-s.

>NASA,

Why would NASA investigate a topical antiseptic?  But if there is something
from NASA cite it.  Not a claim from a vendor that NASA says so but cite
where NASA has even mentioned colloidal silver as a safe and effective
medicine.

>and others.

Please cite them.

>It's all been posted to the list before;

Not that we have seen.  A few citations that were proven conclusively to be
false we can grant you but that is hardly useful to a case supporting c-s.

>Unfortunately, you made the same mistake that he did ..  you sent
>information about colloidal MINERALS, not colloidal SILVER.

No, colloidal silver is one of the colloidal minerals.  The mistake is not
on the part of Mr. Vorhees.

And it is extremely irritating for you to not acknowledge Diane.

Very strong opposition to colloidal silver comes from the FDA.
http://www.fda.gov/OHRMS/DOCKETS/98fr/081799a.txt

   FDA has not approved a new drug application (NDA) for any colloidal
   silver product. None of the silver salts evaluated as part of FDA's
   OTC drug review was found to be generally recognized as safe and
   effective for its intended use(s). FDA is not aware of any
   substantial scientific evidence that supports the use of OTC colloidal
   silver ingredients or silver salts for disease conditions.

That is unequivicable.  Colloidal silver is not a safe and useful medicine.
The FDA had 251 items submitted for its evaluation in reaching this
determination.  None was found to credibly support the use of colloidal
silver.

   The data submitted did not include the required absorption, metabolism,
   tissue distribution, accumulation, excretion, and pharmacodynamics
   (effect of the drug at its action site) of silver in the body, both
   when taken internally and applied externally, and of the effect of the
   particle size of the silver on these systemic effects.

This pretty much shoots down any theories regarding the importance of the
size of the particles, the electric charge pseudo-scientific babble or any
of the claimed but non-documented claims about colloidal silver.

There are claims that 'the good colloidal silver' doesn't cause argyria
which is a *permanent* discoloration of the skin to a blue-gray rather
corpse-like appearance.

   Another comment provided personal experience as a victim of argyria
   who had been disfigured for 40 years as a result of using colloidal
   silver. This comment included an excerpt from a book that recorded
   114 cases of argyria compiled in the 1930's. The comment contended
   that many marketers of colloidal silver deny the potential for
   harm and often misquote or distort the historical articles dealing
   with these products.

Now if you REALLY like the Goth look maybe...

There are X-file level claims of government conspiracy.  <sigh>

--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets