From:
Anna Curry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 09:51:09 -0400
Dear Jenna Leigh,
I am new to the FML and I am not a vet.  However I educate myself as much
as possible.  Before you read this please keep in mind that it may very
well just be a scratch, but you wanted info and I have a small piece of it.
In my Sept/Oct 1998 issue of "Ferrets" it says, "Ferrets seem prone to skin
tumors.  The most common type is the mast-cell tumor.  These tumors appear
as hairless warts ranging in size from pinhead to a half-inch.  They can be
either nodules or flat and usually are skin-colored.  These warts may
ulcerate (bleed, scab over and heal) repeatedly.  The ulceration may occur
because the ferret scratches the growth.

Mast-cell tumors may occur in singles or in clusters.  According to Connie
Orcutt, DVM, most mast-cell tumors are benign.  However, because they have
a tendency to spread, and because there is a change they might not be
benign, do not adopt a wait-and-see attitude.  Electrocautery or surgical
removal in advised, with surgery having a better success rate.  The surgery
is minor, and the ferret may require only a stitch or two......."

I would not wait to see a vet.  A good vet will allow payment plans, or if
you have a history with the vet they will bill you to buy you some time.
Before going to Kaz Grandparents I would try to be a responsible Mom and
work out an arrangement with the vet, maybe they will allow you to do some
work around the office or a neighbor needs some odd jobs done.  If all else
fails asks your parents again, but if you try alternative first they will
see that you are taking responsibility for your baby and may be more
willing to help.  Just remember there is no reason to panic only reason to
get to the vet as soon as you can.

Hope this helps....Anna Curry, Belle & Tigger, Maryland,