From:
"Montgomery, Vicki E" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:15:38 -0500
Hi Guys;

Seems there's some confusion..  about me, what I know, what I'm a member
of... and just how badly I need help... Let me be very clear on this...
ALL RESCUES NEED HELP ALL THE TIME... ALL OF 'EM.  I have read once and
been told directly by Eri about her requests for donations to help my
rescues (the fuzzies themselves); especially now that I have 11 LA
ferrets to go with my 21 Texas ferrets (not nearly the most in a single
rescue, but not a shabby number either, especially since it's been like
that all year), 12 of which are sorta like the LA ferrets - they are
being sheltered until mom gets back on her feet (5 of 'em), which
actually should be soon - 2 weeks to a month maybe - and then she can
take them back and the other 7 - well it seems they are going to convert
from shelters to rescues - {Update... mom who was trying so hard to
recover from one tragedy has had another..  she had a massive
heart-attack on Monday; he supposedly will recover..  I have not been
able to talk to her yet but will keep trying.  She has become a good
friend.  This lady is beyond nice.  Please send a prayer for her - will
still make sure her babies are well until she can bring them home...}

that's part of rescue too ya know..  helping those who need help -
sheltering not just rescuing, helping, then returning them, not just
taking ferrets for adoptions.  You know - unselfish giving to help
another animal whether that animal is human or non-human or both.  OK
that's enough philosophy.  Now - anyone who has been to my house or knows
me knows how I feel and what I do with the kids and the ferrets.  If you
want to make a donation do it, if you don't then don't - I'm still gunna
like nice people and not like bullies; I'm still gunna work to rescue
every ferret I can - and I'm in good company... there are a lot of us
out there..  maybe not enough of us..  but still a lot...

I also have never asked for ANYTHING on this venue - FML..  I've seen
many rescues totally ripped to shreds for doing so.  I suppose for some
people if one begins to rescue then their money, time, blood, sweat and
tears are OWED, but those of you taking pot shots at rescues - what - you
have no social responsibility, except to be hateful?  Those of you who
want to be mean might examine yourself and what unselfish, altruistic,
charitible things you are doing before you mouth off again.  Look inward
first - how are YOU helping the animal populations?  What are YOU doing
to change legislation?  Run for office..  make a difference..  <<<big
grin>>>

When someone asks me about making a donation I always give 3 options...
one is send a check to my vet..  and I prefer this option.  I am going to
have vet bills; so, any money sent there will only free up more of my
paycheck to be used elsewhere for whatever else I have to buy to keep
these guys healthy and happy.  I have even had people pay their adoption
fees by making out a check to my vet and not to me.  This is verifible,
just ask..  Second, I tell them they can send a check or mo to me
directly or to S.O.S.  I am a member rescue of Support Our Shelters - I
do not ask them for help either - I'm saving that for when I can't do
"it" myself.  Whatever "it" may be.  I only use them as a clearing house
for donations so that donors can get a tax receipt - you know that 501c3
stuff - by the way for those who scream - are you a 501c3b all THAT is is
a tax break..  it's not any sort of certification or even determination
of honesty or ability.  AND I've had several people tell me that they
don't need a tax receipt, so it's only important for TAX issues.
Finally, I tell people they can send or bring actual supplies to me.  No
matter what you may think I really don't eat ferret food and I really
don't like ferretone - so you can be reasonably sure it will go to the
ferrets.  LOL Oh and I would LOVE a cruise to the Bahamas or Hawaii, but
truthfully I'm scared S***less to ever leave again.  I have a "do it
myself" complex now, it's well earned and I don't trust others to make
sure no one gets out, no one gets hurt, no one..  well you get it.

Now, it is also hard for me to accept things from other people.  Pride...
it's the way I was raised - even if Pride does goeth before the fall.
You pay your own way and that's that.  I'm old fashioned and proud of it.
there's that Pride again.  And I have always been the one who has given,
not taken - that philosophy is the Christian Charitable Spirit instilled
in me as a child and all through my upbringing.  But for the ferret's
sake I do try hard to make my Pride sit down and shut up so my Compassion
can accept assistance which in the long run helps the ferrets.

Vicki
Vicki Montgomery
Tricks and Treats Rescue
Pasadena, TX 77506