From:
tsmeyers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:04:56 -0600
Hi all...

I have a special request to make.  Over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend,
my stepmom was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML).  She went
to the ER on Thanksgiving evening due to having an increasingly difficult
time with a sinus infection that was getting worse, despite being on
antibiotics.  At the ER they told her that her sinus infection had turned
into severe bronchitis... they also told her something was wonky with her
blood... and they thought she may also have blood clots in her lungs...
so she was admitted to the hospital for further testing.

Friday the diagnosis came back as AML.

Needless to say, this was quite a shock.  I suspect most people don't go
into the ER for a sinus infection only to find out that they may likely
be a terminal cancer patient instead...

The weekend was a little rough for everyone, but things are better now
that the shock has worn off.  Now comes the long fight to get ahead of
this leukemia and attempt to beat it into submission... remission.  Her
leukemia was caught very early, increasing her odds to win this battle...
but it's still an uphill battle.  Survival rates for people with AML over
all are not very good.  (About 20% of AML patients are alive 5 yrs after
diagnosis...)

My special request of you, if you choose to do so, is to help in an
effort to keep my stepmom's spirits soaring.  It is likely she will be
spending the next 1 to 4 months in the hospital... that could wear down
anyone's reserves, I think.  And I do believe that a positive outlook is
key to overcoming cancer.

If anyone who's interested/able could send her a card or note with words
of encouragement, I think that would really go a long way toward keeping
her spirits up.

Pat Meyers
Box 266
Waverly, NE 68462

Thanks.

Tammy & The War Weasels!

~~~~~
"But we in it shall be remember'd; we few, we happy few, we band of
brothers
For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother..."