Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:53:58 -0500
This is somewhat off-topic but I hope BIG lets it through, because I
think it's very relevant to the increasing numbers of fancies (mitts,
blazes, etc) in the ferret world.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/028/science/
A_mystery_in_black_and_white+.shtml

In a nutshell, it appears that the behavioral traits we had selectively
bred for in animals are linked to the white markings on an animal's coat.
Albinos aside, undomesticated animals generally do not have white
markings.  This short quote describing a researcher's work with foxes is
a fair summary of the theory:

"Belyaev linked coat spots to the gene for a molecule called L-dopa.
L-dopa is a building block for melanin, the pigment molecule.  L-dopa is
also necessary for the production of adrenaline, the hormone that turns
on our flight-or-fight response.  If activation of the L-dopa gene was
delayed, the animal would have less melanin and less adrenaline.  With
less melanin, there would be white patches on the animal's coat.  Less
adrenaline would dampen the urge to fight or flee."

The researcher was selectively breeding calmer foxes and in 18
generations had foxes that were not agitated by humans and were even
friendly, but the foxes also exhibited very un-foxlike white markings
(which, happily for the friendly foxes, ruined the commercial value of
their fur).

Anyway it's fascinating for those interested in issues of domestication,
behavior and coloration.  The URL I gave may only be free for a couple of
days, but hopefully the research is available elsewhere.

Regina

Regina Harrison  [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
http://www.channel1.com/users/regina/
blog: http://www.channel1.com/users/regina/zblog.html

Is that my business?  Well, what is my business?  Do I know?  Did I ever
know?  Let s not go into that.  You re not human tonight, Marlowe.  Maybe
I never was or ever will be... Maybe we all get like this in the cold
half-lit world where always the wrong thing happens and never the right.
--Raymond Chandler, The Little Sister