From:
Jessica Welsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2009 18:43:28 -0400
>My question is, are those of you who are having reactions giving
>benadryl before the rabies shot?

I personally have had a ferret react to the rabies vaccine when
pre-treated with Benadryl. This happened nearly two years ago, so
I don't believe it's related to the more recent reactions, but it
can happen. Back then I posted on the FHL about it, and Dr. Ruth
responding saying that she no longer uses Benadryl to premedicate
because she was still seeing reactions with it and also because she
had heard of ferrets having reactions to the Benadryl itself. She now
uses dexamethasone instead and has seen a reduced number of reactions
that way.

You can read her full post at http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL2771.