Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2012 18:24:47 -0400
Figures, there's always one sour grape in the bunch isn't there? When
the DMK rescue was going on, I was just being introduced to Josie so
I missed that opportunity. But since then I have rescued and had many
more ferrets rehomed to me. There is nothing quite like seeing a
neglected, unloved, malnourished ferret bloom into a lively, fun,
affectionate, brave, companion!

Its truly disheartening to read a post indicating the rescue and rehome
of so many desperate ferrets is somehow infringing upon YOUR time to
simply read an email! Scroll past what doesn't interest you, don't
denigrate those who made the sacrifices necessary to help ferrets in
need.

I just picked up 2 more from a local humane shelter on march 31st. One
was very lame on her forehand with very atrophied forearms. I presumed
her to be crippled. She wasn't in pain, but simply hobbled about. She
is a bit under weight. Her cage mate is considerately overweight. Both
have already transitioned to raw and in 14 days she has gained 4 ounces
as well as full use of her forelimbs with muscling rebuilding already!
He has only trimmed off 1 ounce. Both are very happy and active.

I don't know which is more heart wrenching to see ferrets stuffed in
breeding cages too small to move around in and to have never known the
interaction of a human friend; or to see ferrets that DID go to a home
only to be forgotten and stuffed in a cage and then abandoned at a
humane shelter.

But I do know what is very heart warming and that is to see an abused
neglected animal brighten up and become trusting again and ask to be
played with and coming to snuggle with -- THAT is all the thanks I
need and all the assurance that I did make the right choice.

For whatever time that ferret has left it will never ever again be
neglected, forgotten, brushed aside, stuffed in a cage or be perceived
as a burden!

Maybe you had a bad day when you posted negatively about the DMK
rescue. But at least some of the DMK ferrets rescued had the chance to
have a better day and every ferret owner should feel good about that!

While I may not know how my friends who rescue so many do it, I do know
WHY they do it - because there is the need and because they CAN and
because if they don't who will? I will do my part to help as many as I
can. We all should.

If you can't, don't, we won't think ill of you but please, that doesn't
give you free rein to decry what others have done!

Regards,
Kim