From:
The Hintons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 07:24:26 -0700
BIG, I understand this is off the course and is only marginally related to
ferrets.  Nevertheless, I ask for a fair hearing.

My wife told me I had made the cover of The Rolling Stone again.

How could this be?  I was properly chastised for not knowing that anyone
who acquires a ferret from Flemming Farms must sign some sort of contract
limiting their rights to the animal.  It simply never occurred to me that a
breeder would require a contract.  I finally figured that -- the contract
part -- out from that vindictive and nasty flame from Judith Moon, my
thanks for the education.

You wouldn't believe the personal message I got from another nice lady.
Let it suffice that had it appeared on the FML our lawyers would have had
an opportunity to figure out if it is libel or slander if it's on a web
mailing list distribution.

Curiously enough, at my age, it actually hurt my feelings.

My wife and I never acquired a pet from a breeder.  They all were bailed
out of pounds or unwanted litters or, in one case, were rescued from a
semi-feral existence if I can be allowed to use that term.  There was no
particular reason for this, it just happened that way.

In fact, that wild cat is my current cat and I lost a considerable amount
of blood touching her and being scratched for days on end to gain her
friendship.  She is willing to discuss my relationships with pets with any
of you who doubt and have claws to defend yourselves.

In fact, in an attempt to clear my name, there are two perfectly happy
ferrets snoozing on the other side of the wall behind this PC.  They're
crashed on my daughter's bed.  They've been living there for a year now so
my total ignorance about ferrets is totally overstated.

I won't mention my 20 years of riding and driving horses.  They aren't
pets.

I don't think it would have been too much for someone to point out politely
that Flemming Farms has a restrictive contract.  Obviously, there must be
reasons for it since I understand Flemming Farms is a highly respected
breeder.

Arizona Whiz

From the George Burns song of the same name

[Moderator's note: A short, non-flaming note is ok...it's the "personal"
bickering that needs to be kept off the list.  BIG]