From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 11:11:22 -0700
[Moderator's note: This is a pretty long response (it was posted in 3
parts which are combined here) about Marshall Farms.   If you've been a
subscriber for a while you know how "charged" this topic can be, plus
the Killians and Danielle don't see eye-to-eye on this and invariably
respond to each other on the list.  And sometimes these responses have
been less than friendly.

Personally, I think that while this is not an extrodinarily friendly post,
the following is civil and can be posted.  I am expecting any responses
to be similarly civil as well.  When this is no longer the case, the topic
will immediately be retired for a few months and the "less than civil"
posts will be returned unposted.  Rememeber, we're here to talk about the
ferrets, not to fight among ourselves.  'nuf said.  BIG]

My post is being dissected and taken out of context...sigh.

I wrote: Marshall Farms has been asked repeatedly (by me and others), to
make a post on the FML regarding concerns...

Diane Killian wrote: As was stated to us on several occasions, Marshalls
knows that if they posted, they wouldn't be treated fairly, therefore,
they have chosen not to become embroiled in a bitter dispute or flame war
with their detractors.

My response: Hmmm...since Marshall Farms has NOT tried this, how do they
know this will happen and not the reverse?  Boy, running a business always
has risks involved just like the way they ship their ferrets to pet stores.
I wouldn't think posting a response to the accusations would be a big
deal, but in my opinion, just like the other representatives of their
company, they probably would not be able to provide logical responses to
the questions.  I wrote: then you can call and hear their excuses and
lack of knowledge on ferrets first hand (oops, had to put my personal
experiences in).

Diane Killian wrote: This is a perfect example.  You have implied that you
believe that you, as a more or less, recent ferret owner know more than the
Marshalls,a multigenerational family with decades of experience, back to
the beginnings of the keeping of ferrets as pets.

I write: Excuse me, are you suggesting that someone who has been owned by
ferrets for twelve years, is a RECENT ferret owner?  I hope that all the
other FML readers are not offended by that statement since many have been
owned by ferrets for less than twelve years.  Also, longevity does not
necessarily have anything to do with experience, there are MANY out there
who have been owned by ferrets for 20 years or more and still don't get it.

I wrote: Keep in mind, that Marshall Farms will not allow outside visitors
to the breeding area and states that it is because of the possibility of
germs.

Diane Killian wrote: From a purely practical standpoint, this is an
extremely important reason for not allowing visitors.  Numerous private
breeders won't allow visitors to see their breeding facilities.  Germs can
lead to infectious diseases being spread, as well as possibly fatalities.

I write: Did you not read the part of the post I made on this?  Apparently
not.  I agree on the germ thing but Hazmat suits do not allow germs to
affect the person wearing it AND vice-versa.  What is your reasoning on
this?

I wrote: I believe it is to Marshall Farms benefit to allow someone (a
knowledgeable private party) to visit the breeding facility and it raises
even more red flags in my eyes that they wont do this.

Diane Killian wrote: They have allowed knowledgeable individuals to tour
their facilities.  Additionally, they have always received praise from
these visitors.  It has been posted to the FML in the past.

I write: Recently?  Were these people who have visited been involved with
the breeding processes there?  Did these visitors get to see the elaborate
computer system on tracking the ferrets, Marshall claims to have?  Did
they get to see first hand the shipping department in progress?

I wrote: Also, three vets here in my state, do not feel MF is a good place
and shudder at all the young ferrets they have seen from there with chronic
health problems.

Diane Killian wrote: It has often been stated that not all ferrets with
two dots are from Marshall.  Your local experiences are different from all
but a few other pockets in the country.  This would definitely validate
the idea that there are fraudulent business practices used by other ranches
who would closely match the term 'mill'.

I write: Yup.  Guess my area is different and that is amusing since I
thought Petco stores practiced the same procedures.  I am referring to
several that Petco has had examined when they first come in to the store -
paperwork, shipping crate intact.  The ferrets that I have taken in have
been directly from Petco with all paperwork/receipts intact.  I have
rescued a few and have also had my own Marshall Farms ferrets.  I am sure
that it has happened that people have "faked" MF ferrets, but to suggest
that this is the case here, is purely a mistake, unless Marshall Farms has
been taking other breeders' ferrets and putting the two dots in the ear and
passing them off to Petco as being from their breeding facilities.  Petco
(the two in my area) get the ferrets DIRECTLY from Marshall Farms - no
middle entity.  Is this what Marshall Farms has stated to you about why
they are repeatedly accused of producing unhealthy ferrets?  I would LOVE
to hear from people in all these other areas who have discovered that they
have "fake" Marshall Farms ferrets and also would like to know how it was
determined that they are "fakes".  I bet it is not as widespread as you
claim, but if so, how come Marshall Farms has not prosecuted any of the
suppliers or "fakers"?  Lack of proof?  MOST businesses would be all over
this one because it is a reflection of their "product" and reputation.
To those of you who have experienced "fake" MF ferrets, please come
forward on the FML.

I wrote: I encourage you to view some of my posts on experiences I have had
with Marshall Farms, as well as others.  You will then be able to conclude
if they are knowledgable and/or responsible breeders.

Diane Killian wrote: And check what we have written over a much longer
time, after much more experience with Marshall and other ranches over the
years.  To make such an assessment, some separate knowledge of ferret
ranches, reputable private breeders and less savory backyard breeders is
required, not just an anecdotal assessment of only one's own experiences.

I write: EXACTLY!  Re-read the above excerpt.  I encourage a person to
lookat all of it and not just take someone's word or something they read
on the Internet.  I encourage them to go one step further...call Marshall
Farms and ask questions.  Otherwise, you cannot make an accurate, unbiased
decision on what Marshall is capable or not capable of addressing.  Once
again, I can provide a name and number of a "higher-up", who is not in the
customer service department.

Diane Killian has written that nobody has privately asked them to provide
their source at Marshall Farms, that is simply untrue.  I asked them to
come forward and email it to me both on the FML and privately (over a year
ago).  What is amusing to me is that the person or people that they talk
to over there could also be pulling the wool over their eyes since (as far
as I have heard from the Killians) they have not toured the facility with
their own eyes.  In a sense, the Killians are simply defending a place that
they have not visited.  My problems with Marshall Farms are solely based on
the lack of knowledge they have displayed when I have called them and the
other experiences I have had when I have called them about yet another
ferret under age one, dying (and yes, paperwork is still intact).  I would
gladly change my stance on them if they had some logical reason for what
I have witnessed, but nobody there can provide any.  My first ferret was
a Marshall Farms ferret and I had all the faith in the world in Marshall
Farms (perhaps they were smaller then).  However, since I have experienced
sheer ineptitude from them since, I had to change my opinion.

I am defending my position on this and do not wish to start another
flaming war with the Killians, nor do I wish to subject the FML to further
exchanges like the past.  I just cannot sit back and allow my knowledge to
be put down (or for Diane to call me a "recent" ferret owner).  My response
is civil and to the point and will remain this way.

Thanks for being patient, especially BIG.