From:
DOOK-WOOF-DOOK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:09:37 -0400
Everyone is criticizing the one post.....let me pose it to you this way.
I think this is where the person is coming from: There is one more spot
on a helicopter to get someone out.  It is your mother (since we all have
one of them) or someone's pet.  Who should get this spot?  If they would
have left my mother and took the great dane, I would have been upset!
Anyway they do it down there, they are going to come under fire.  I don't
see anyway of pleasing everyone.  I think everyone down there is doing
the best they can do and have to make split second decisions.  Pets are
getting out, but not at the expense of a human life.  They are getting
out in many creative ways (a parakeet in a woman's bra, 2 ferrets in a
young girls oversized jean pockets).  But honestly, if it were a human or
a dog on the helicopter, I would hope they would take the human first.
Then go back for my dog.  And frankly, I like my dogs alot more then most
humans.

Shelters are so full down there initially, that there was not room for
animals.  It is a sad fact.  One dog could take up food and water for a
baby.  These people were forced to make unspeakable decisions, some which
involved not taking their animals.  I hope if anything comes from this,
is that the government moves faster, and that people plan better.  Even
if the worse did not happen and you totally fled the state, that would
be just a few days of minor inconvenience.  It is better then death or
having to deal with what they are dealing with now.

I loved the idea of a shelter for both animals and their owners.  There
would have to be strict rules governing that though, after all there are
pet owners who won't even pick up after their animal's poopie on a walk
in a nice neighborhood.  But I think the Red Cross along with the Human
Society or ASPCA should look into that.

I hope from all the posts and inputs everyone learns, not to judge until
you are in their shoes......It is easy for us, who have computers,
electric and a hot meal to sit in our cozy homes and post things, but it
is another thing to live there under 20' of sewer filled water and 100
degree heat.  I think it is a matter of organization and realizing that
things, including pet rescues are not going to happen over night.

Marguerite
And her 35 Fuzzy Kids up for adoption or sponsorship
Including the Bad Boy Pack of 7

Life is not how many breaths you take, but
how many times it takes your breath away...
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue PetFinder Web Page
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.petfinder.org
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Store
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.com/onlinestore.htm
Aloha Ferrets Ebay Store