From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:35:55 -0500
Play is perhaps one of the BEST mutual enrichments (rivals grooming)
between ferrets and their owners.  Have you ever brought in a new toy and
your ferrets go wild over it for about 10 minutes, whereupon it is toted
away to languish in the hidey-hole forevermore?  A common remark I have
heard for years is that ferrets like to hide toys far more than they like
to play with them, and I tend to concur, although exceptions certainly
abound.  I have noted ferrets have four distinct responses to toys: they
investigate and then ignore them, they investigate and then hide them,
they briefly play with them from time to time, and they play with them as
long as I am holding the other end, animating them.  An observant ferret
owner would note this is an interest continuum, ranging from low to high
interest.  No matter the toy, I have found the toys ferrets prefer to
play with are those animated by owners; a plastic grocery bag, a towel,
even paper balls are just as enjoyable as expensive stuffed balls or
animals.  In fact, it is the ferret owner that seems to be the toy, and
the object simply something the ferret has to get past in order to "get"
the owner.

The reason, I believe, is the typical ferret is far less interested in
the toys as they are in the INTERACTION between themselves and the ferret
owner.  Ferrets use play as a means of learning (and teaching) social
skills, learning dominance, and even to know the health and physical
abilities of rivals.  Play is EXTREMELY important to ferrets; so much so
it is probably accurate to assume ferrets that DON'T play are displaying
a pathological condition (humans are the same way--a child that
consistently doesn't play has something wrong with them).  Even my oldest
ferrets, ill or dying, have shown at least some small spark of interest
when solicited to play with tickles or paw batting.  Play in important,
it encourages better socialization, it reduces stress, AND is promotes
the positive psychological and physiological attributes of enrichment.

Exploration is another fine way to enjoy mutual enrichment.  This is
nothing more than taking a ferret to a new location and wandering around.
It is important to teach the ferret that the leash is their friend, make
sure they have all their vaccinations, and I would be VERY wary of dogs
and other animals that might visualize the ferret as a toy or dinner.  I
have noticed my ferrets like to explore areas having some sort of water
feature, such as creeks, ponds, lakeshore, etc.  They especially love to
dig into soft earth, so keep a sharp eye on them.  Take the time to
INTERACT with your ferret, and mutal enrichment will be the result.

Bob C