From:
Dee Race <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 17:14:26 EST
Hello All-

I'm borrowing a friend's computer to post this since my life doesn't
include Internet access.  Lots of pets-but no Internet.  According to her I
speak in all big medical terms that need to be translated so bear with me.

I have a general question to any persons [or fuzzies] about experiences you
have had when dental work was done on your fuzzy.

I'm a Licensed Veterinary Technician so I know a bit about dental disease
and treatment but not about ferrets specifically.  I work at a feline
specialty practice so the work can't be done there.  One of my new
adoptions [3 1/2 year old sprite], has a fractured canine.  We don't know
how long the tooth has been broken.  The pulp is exposed, the tooth is
discolored, and her gum is slightly swollen.  I recently sat through 5
hours of lecture on dental disease and to me this s a serious problem.

My question is this: Has anyone had dental radiographs done on their
ferret?  A root canal?  Experience with an upper canine extraction?  Costs
involved?

I'm still in the process of locating a local vet with experience in ferret
dentistry [our regular vet hasn't done any].  Otherwise I'll travel to see
a veterinary dentist-but he's 2 1/2 hours away.

I'll do what's best for her [within reason-she's not getting a titanium
crown for her tooth-here comes Dracula].  Oh, she's bouncy, eating well,
and doesn't seem to be painful but I'm concerned this may abscess in the
future and I want to avoid that.

Dooks to all.

June
Dodger  - the broken fang ferret
Trevor - my tooth isn't broken so I don't have to go.
Beast - my teeth are all beautiful cause I'm the youngest