From:
Susan Downey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 14:02:17 +0000
Hey all,

Well, I always knew our baby ferret Taos (now 9 months) had an attitude.
She is the smallest of our 5 and the meanest.  I think she is trying to
prove size isn't everything, she can hold her own.  (Yea tell Sammie, our
big guy, that he just rolls over her) But any way.  Yesterday after we got
back from skiing, the 5 were helping us un- pack.  Socks go in the bathroom,
Gloves behind the fireplace, hats under the sofa, .... (you get the idea)
Well everyone was a bit wound up.  Taos mistook my hand for something
chewable.  When our guys nip I hold them till they calm down.  Well believe
it or not this was the first time Taos has really bitten since she was
really little.  So I pick her up, explain to her that ferrets that bite get
held, and it was time to calm down.  Well here is what she had to say to me.
hhhhhhiiiisssssssssssssss.  and again and again.  It was a low really pissed
off hiss.  She could not believe I was going to hold her.  So for about 5
minutes I was trying to hold on to a wiggle hissy Taos.  It was a fight.  I
was not going to let her think that wiggling and hissing was going to get
her down.  She was not going to let me think that she had any intention of
calming down.  Good thing we dont have to do this very often

The subject of leaving ferrets came up.  We have left our 5 at my parents
for a week at a time.  I was so worried.  They would be sad, they would miss
me.  They would be scared.  YEA RIGHT.  They had so much fun discovering all
the new things to play with I think they were bummed to go home.  Well not
really.  But my parents love them.  They would try to put them to bed for
the night.  Be sitting down watching the TV and Hugo would go flying by.  I
guess he made it a game to not go to bed every night.  But Hugo did let me
know that he did notice were gone.  I picked him up to say hi and he chomped
my ear.  Not hard, but enough to get my attention.  He was saying don't
ditch us any more.

Sue - oh look, now 4 of them can get on the kitchen table- how cute
Taos - I don't have an attitude, hiss hiss hiss CHOMP
Sammie -What do you mean we are not allowed on the kitchen table.
Hugo - Oh they say that.  We can go where ever we want,  I like the
           kitchen counter the best
Izzy - Yea why would they leave cups of water on the table if they
           were not for us to knock over
Elbert- Sock go here, Slippers go there.  Oh the mess these people
            make.  I just put those shoes away

Susan Downey
ACS/Ball Aerospace
(303)939-4686