From:
Charlene Lowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 12:48:29 -0500
>From:    William Waters <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Should I be worried?
>(Cedric) is normally quite plump, but it seems like he's lost weight in the
>past few weeks while my other ferret, Alexander, is packing it on.

William, you might be dealing with an optical illusion... i'm not saying you
shouldn't be worried cause a lot of icky problems can start with weight
loss... But, many times when one of ours starts to get fatter, it appears
the others are getting skinnier.  We bought a scale at a kitchen store.
It's a baking scale and accomodates up to 11 lbs.  We weigh everybody pretty
regularly so we know when one is gaining or losing weight definitively.  And
like I said, many times when we've thought one is getting skinny their
weight actually hasn't changed but their brother or sister is "packing it
on" as you say.

>P.S. \o Joe's wife.  I hope you read this as I need to get your screen name
>again.  The other night in the Chat I wrote it down but cannot read my own
writing

Terry and the Sweet 16, that was me... [log in to unmask] is me. I work at
the University here ([log in to unmask]), the newspaper here (if you see
[log in to unmask]) and I have my own business out of my home too:
REAL Research (an information brokerage - Home of the Info Ferret! - yes,
that's really the company's motto)... So, glad to be able to keep up to date
on your boy, Dude, and everybody else too.

>From:    Hope Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Need advice for an aging ferret
>They get along fine, Eddie really loves her company.  The problem is Ed is
>now sleeping a lot more, refusing to get up, and is coughing a lot...

Two things I'd think about.  Does Ed groom the new one a lot?  Perhaps he is
ingesting a whole lot more hair than usual and this is getting stuck in his
throat and tummy.  Or, is the newbie running him around ragged now?
Hacking, gurgling, and tiredness can be indicative of cardiomyopathy or
heart disease.  He could be getting fluid around his heart.  This is serious
but can be treated with drugs like Lasix to keep the fluid under control.
Other drugs too (i'm not a vet).  Good luck.  Keep us posted.

>From:    Sherri Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: How I lost 2 ferrets to Animal Control in WI
>Lab reports on Smokey showed an infestation of mites in her brain, which
>perhaps drove her insane.

This is a very very tragic story.  Is this possible?  Ear mites traveling to
the brain?  I have never heard of such a thing... Inquiring minds want to
know.