From:
Donna Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 1995 00:35:36 -0500
I wanted to write to ask for advice or thoughts about my Dakota TBear (Koti)
but I'm having a hard time focusing on my problems now after reading about
John and his beloved Buddy.  It's hard to type through all the tears Please
accept my condolences not only to John but to any others who have recent
losses (I'm way behind on reading the FML).  My dear sweet 2.5 yr.  old Koti
Bear has a history of diarrhea and loose and yellow stools which for the
most part I considered normal for him.  Several times I had him to the vet
and had him checked with bloodwork, general physical condition, etc.  Last
Sept.  he had blood in his stool and was given Clavamox and Metronidazole
hopefully to clear up a possible irritable bowel syndrome.  I think it
helped somewhat but he still would have occasional loose stools.  Last week
I noticed that Koti just didn't look himself.  It wasn't anything I could
put my finger on and with 10 others and 2 cats sometimes it's hard to notice
everyone although I try.  I just knew something wasn't quite right.  Two
days ago I observed a very noticeable weight loss and found that he had lost
4 ounces in the last couple of weeks (or perhaps less time).  I had a friend
take him to her vet since I was at home with the flu and barely able to get
out of bed.  The vet thought perhaps Koti had a lump in his abdomen and to
call him back in 2 days.  I weighed Koti again today and he has lost another
ounce.  BTW, I have been giving him supplemental feedings of blended Totally
Ferret, Nutrical and chicken baby food every day for over a week but he
continues to lose weight.  Today I took him to another vet office that has
seen Koti previously but a temporary vet was there.  This vet took blood
(results won't be available until tomorrow) and took X-rays that did not
show any blockages or anything unusual.  Both vets that have seen Koti are
gone for the holidays and will not be able to do exploratory surgery until
next week.  I'm not sure if he can continue to lose weight at this rate for
that long.  Right now, Koti is active but he seems to be wasting away before
my eyes and looks like nothing but bones.  He is currently 2 lbs but used to
weigh much more.  I'm so worried and am trying to do everything I can for
him.  I'm not sure if Koti's problem is a bowel/intestinal problem or he
ingested something he wasn't supposed to.  I'm also wondering if his body is
unable to absorb the food properly and he needs a special diet.  He
shouldn't be losing weight if he is getting nourishment.  Has anyone else
experienced a similar disease/condition?  Any immediate suggestions would be
appreciated.