From:
Larry McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:15:57 -0500
First and foremost, my sincere condolences to all who have lost their
furkids or have ill ones.

I saw the post in 9/23's FML about the Whoopi Goldberg show, and a
friend sent me the web address.  This is the letter I sent to Whoopi
Goldberg/NBC.  I would like to ask that if you write, please, keep a
cool head about yourself and your letter.  While we can all be quite
'fanatical' with our love for our ferrets, please keep your letters toned
down.  People generally will not read a letter from someone who comes
across over the top and off the wall.

Rebecca & the Crew of Merry Mayhem

To whom it may concern:

I have not seen your show yet, but have read the description.  I'm sure
you'll received many letters from ferret people, and I hope you'll excuse
the more vocal ones.  Just from reading the synopsis of your show
tonight, I would like to protest the light it sheds on ferrets.

I work with ferret rescue, have been involved with ferrets for over 6
years.  I've attended 2 international symposiums, done 2 radio shows for
Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana on ferrets, and am listed in
the acknowledgments in the book "Ferrets for Dummies".  It is a sad thing
when ferrets are put in the light of biting, or being vicious, which is
what your show seems, from the synopsis, to portray.  Ferrets bite out
of fear, or out of abuse.  They are not, by nature, biters.  They have to
be taught to do this, and although they will nip at times, and especially
in play, they generally do not bite.  During my rescue work I have come
across ferrets that have been 'taught' to bite by being teased or
mistreated, but they are rehabilitated.  I've known shelter operators who
have taken in more abused ferrets than I ever have, and again, they have
been rehabilitated.

I can tell you that having been bitten quite hard and the bite has been
extremely painful and severe, my finger did not 'swell up'.  The ferret
that bit me like this was extremely abused-the type of abuse we don't
know, but part of it was from neglect, and the need to be loved, petted,
and noticed.  This ferret is well on her way to rehabilitation, and I
have no fear of her.

Ferrets are by nature inquisitive, joyful, full of life and love.  They
are extremely mischievous and love to interact with people.  They have
been domesticated for over 2,000 years and are neither wild nor exotic.
They are the third most popular pet in the United States, and their
popularity is growing all over the world.

Ferrets are not legal in California, there is a petition mentioned to ban
them in Chicago, ex-mayor Guiliani banned them in New York City, and this
show, I am afraid, will only foster the misinformed that ferrets are
vicious.  I don't know how many times people approach us and say "they're
vicious, they're mean, don't they bite".  I am saddened that Whoopi
Goldberg, whom I think is an extremely funny lady, would do this.  Why
not a cat or a dog bite, why not be attacked by someone's pet pig?  I
hope that at a later date your show can bring a ferret on and show it's
loving, joyful nature.

Regards,
Rebecca McFarlane

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and =
 taste good with ketchup"
"Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have"