From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 02:58:32 -0700
To David Welch:

>Okay.  Its that time again when all little two legs get some sort of "bug"
>that seems to be wandering around the office or home...
>So.  What can be done to keep them well?  (Besides the obvious washing the
>hands thing) If they do get a cold or flu, are there any two leg meds that
>can be given to them in proportionately smaller doses that will help them?

    David - the obvious washing the hands thing is by far the best.  Ferrets
don't spontaneously get the flu - it is given to them by their owners.  Most
cases require no medication - in severe cases, I will recommend a course of
antibiotics to prevent a secondary bacterial infection.  Only very rarely
will I recommend a human decongestant - I don't like to use human meds in
ferrets because of the obvious potential for overdosage.

   If you are careful, your fuzzies won't catch the flu....

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath