Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 20:13:33 EST
Hi fellow FMLers

I usually am a reader not a poster but I just have to share some good
news.  I have adopted a new little girl and have named her Casey.  She
came to me via the kennel where my dog goes to play a couple of times a
week.  I had gone to the kennel one Sat morning to pick Kenzie up and the
kennel owner, Nancy, asked me to have a look at a fuzzie she was boarding
because she thought she wasn't eating.  I had a look at her and
volunteered to bring her home with me until the owner returned 3 days
later.

Casey was in a cage that had nothing in it but a large grassy ball for
her to sleep in and it was so worn she was laying on the wire shelf.  The
first thing I did when I got her home was outfit the cage with a hammock,
sleepsack and toweling for the floor to protect her feet.

It took me about 5 minutes to get attached to her.  I told Nancy that I
wanted to ferretnap her and she volunteered to speak with the owner about
adopting her as the owner didn't seem too concerned with my taking her
home so Nancy felt she might be open to letting her be adopted.

We found out that Casey had been the owner's daughters ferret and the
daughter had left for college leaving the ferret.

I sent Casey home with the stuff I had put in her cage and I think that
swayed the owner that I would be good for her.  At any rate, she and the
daughter discussed it and decided that I could adopt her.  She has been
here for 2 weeks tomorrow.  Oh.  and the first thing I did when I got her
home was throw out that blasted ball<g>

She had not been to a vet but once in her life, no shots.  I took her for
a checkup and shots a week ago Tues.  The vet estimates her to be about 3
yrs, the owner didn't know for sure.  Her exam was fine but her bloodwork
revealed elevated calcium and lymphocytes, signs my vet says of possible
lymphoma.  So Casey had a lymph node biopsy performed today and the
sample has been sent off for evaluation, results should be back in a
week.  Keep her in your prayers that it isn't lymphoma, or if it is that
she responds to treatment as she will get treatment.

I know we were meant to find each other.  I know I was meant to take care
of her because the previous owner wouldn't have.  She is the sweetest
gentlest ferret, and a beautiful girl too.  I don't think she has been
around other fuzzies since kithood as she is clueless about how to play
and my 3 yr old male is trying his best to get her to, she just runs when
he doesn't have her pinned to the floor.  Any suggestions on how to help
this relationship along would be most appreciated.

Thanks for listening, I just had to share my news.

Ann and Casey, Casper, Jillian and Zoey, oh and Kenzie the dog too