From:
"Downey, Susan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 15:12:12 -0600
Hey all,

I have another question about another ferrets of mine.  I need some
suggestions on how to get Hugo to not be so stressed out.  The article in
Modern Ferret made me realize that stress is Hugo's problem.  He is a
stress case.  He has in the past 18 months grown cataracts and can see very
little or nothing at all.  He has always been nervous and now not being
able to see has made him worse.  He has on and off rat tail and will often
cower after something scares him.  Some time I think it is shadows scaring
him into a catatonic state.  There are time he comes up for play time and
just slinks around and hides.  The only thing we do not have which was
suggested in the stress article in Modern Ferret is a nesting box in his
cage.  We are going to do that this weekend.  All of the other suggestions
are either taken care of or not applicable.

Are there any other suggestions on how we can calm him down.  When he is
not scared he is a riot.  He bounces, talks, rolls, jumps and flips.  He is
a very normal ferret.  When he is scared though he gets into a corner and
shakes and shakes.  I some times try to hold him, if I can get to him, and
that only helps a little.  He would rather hide somewhere.

Thanks
Sue and her frenzy of 5