Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 00:03:47 -0700
Dan asks:
>Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any practical experience with
>ferrets in an RV??

Do we have practical experience with ferrets in an RV????  You bet.
We've been living with ferrets in a 5th wheel since 1998.  It's all good.

RV's are largely ferret proof right off the bat.  That's a big plus.  We
don't leave them in the 5er while tooling down the road.  Too hot.  Too
dangerous.  Etc etc etc

The biggest deal is finding out which vets are ferret knowledgeable
wherever you're headed.  This is extremely important as we have
discovered there are vast swaths of this great nation that lack ferret
knowledgeable vets.  On the other hand, we've had the pleasure of making
the acquaintance of some amazing vets in our travels.

The second biggest deal is climate control.  These little boxes can heat
up and cool down in a big hurry.  When they heat up, they can be hard to
cool down and vice versa.  You just have to stay on top of it.

Our ferrets are excellent travelers.  They enjoy the novelty of trips and
the new experiences.

>I know we need documentation from our vet if we go out of state

We do keep a file of all the ferrets' documents on hand when we travel.
We have only needed them when crossing into Canada and back.  It's also
most helpful to have copies of their medical records.  Mojo and Wilbur
have seen 5 different vets in their 5 years.  Having their medical
records to share with new vets is very helpful.

>ferrets travel well in general... and to stay the heck out of
>california.

Ah, California.  We are exiles from the once great state.  We do return
now and again with our ferrets.  We're very very sneaky.  Also, it's an
enormous state and very hard to avoid passing through when one is based
on the west coast.  Not an insurmountable problem, but a blasted
inconvenience.

Any more questions?  Fire away.

-Lori