From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2011 17:40:38 -0400
http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=19077

Ferrets share some kidney vulnerabilities with dogs (for example,
raisins, grapes, or currants all causing acute kidney failure in
ferrets and dogs and to a lesser extent than dogs also in cats), so
I am sending a heads-up.

Very Short Snippet:

>dogs that had eaten various brands of chicken jerky developing a
>kidney disorder mimicking the genetic disease Fanconi syndrome

This is happening in the U.S. and in Canada.

Second short snippet has symptoms and test results (in dogs):

>vomiting, lethargy and anorexia. Laboratory tests revealed
>hypokalemia, or low potassium; mild increase in liver enzymes;
>acidosis; glucosuria, or glucose in urine; and granular casts in urine

The products were all made in China and some parts of the description
above remind me some of when pet foods and more had to be recalled
because of a substance that looks like protein on tests being added
to get away with using less protein.

See the article for details, please.

In Australia and NZ similar problems were seen with the use of a type
of veggie tooth cleaning treat made in Vietnam.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html