From:
Laura Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 01:55:19 -0400
I received a response from Governor Wilson's office today in response to the
fax I sent him about his stand on ferrets.  Did anyone else get such a
letter?  By time I finished reading it, I was ballistic.  They must have had
the DFG write the letter.  It said things like ferrets could become a new
source of wildlife diseases, and if a ferret got loose, it would cost the
private landowner money and time to remove it.  As if the DFG doesn't cost
taxpayer money hunting down ferret owners and prosecuting them!  It also
listed the standard bull about domestic ferrets going feral and that ferrets
pose a threat to human health and safety.  Oh please, here's a quarter, buy
a clue!  The only thing my ferrets threaten are toes and boxes of raisins!
I'm ashamed to say I grew up in CA--and even more glad that I don't live
there.

Okay, I feel a little better now.  Not much, but a little.  Does anyone have
any suggestions for me to write a letter to these turkeys?  I have a copy of
the PRI report, but I am hesitant to use it because if the people who wrote
this letter (D.L.  Olson signed his name to the letter, but he asks that any
further correspondance be sent to Terry Mansfield of the Wildlife Management
Division) are from the DFG, quoting a report that rips them in shreds
wouldn't be terribly productive.  Should I write directly to the Governor?
I feel like I need to do something more....every time I look at my sweet
sleeping ferrets and think that somewhere they're illegal, it makes me ill.
And very very sad.

Laura
and
The Ferrets (Mom, would it make you feel less sad if we pooped on Ca-Ca land
for you?)