From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:08:20 -0400
I want to send a note thanking the three people (all vets) who went out
their way to help with the info gathering for Chiclet.  I know that some
of the info is back from the pathologist (some blood drawn but she didn't
give much, and nodal aspirate taken) so we'll get a call later from the
vet.  We're hearing that despite her fever so over 105'F she likely needs
to go under the knife for a biopsy.  Some of those options appear to have
low to moderate ratings for metastatic potential.  If it is JL of course,
it's high instead.  The best thing would be just an infection, but it is
not acting like that as much now.

I also want to thank and apologize to the folks who wrote and said things
along the line of, "You did not say how you are, and I am worried."
Sorry, I figured that would be a "no news is good news" situation.  The
bleeding was not from my kidneys.  Nor are the problems I've had since
my hysterectomy 12 years ago due to any common cause.  We know that I
have an antibiotic resistant strep and that is being tested again, but
the rest of the problem was not what it had been assumed to be, and that,
too, is good news and more easily fixed.  I wish that I'd been sent to a
urologist years ago (despite being the only woman in the waiting room)
because even though internists and gynecologists know a lot there is
nothing like an expert who has taken the years of intensive study in his
or her own field to know about the less common nuances.  Those who know
their topic backwards and forwards typically are also more approachable
and open, too; I've run into very few knowledgeable people who get
egotistical about their fields but I have run into a number who get
defensive about what is not their specialty which I had happen with the
non-urologists.  There I was, told for over a decade that part of the
problem wouldn't pay to even look into correcting because of coughing
from my asthma able to worsen it, but it wasn't even the type of
structural thing they thought it was due to gaps they had in their
knowledge which they didn't even know were there.  (That part of the
problem is with my urethra rather than my bladder or kidneys.)  Having
gaps in knowledge is not a fault because the other physicians know their
own fields but I should have been sent to a urologist sooner because they
should have realized that perhaps what I have does fit into a gap they
didn't know they had.  So, I will be going through some procedures which
aren't bad (Had it done once already.) and might need a minor operation,
but it is correctable and it is easier to correct than what those who
weren't the real experts thought it was.  Anyway, when in doubt, or when
you think that your physician (or your vet (!)) may be in doubt due to
the person either pointing that out (which is preferable) or acting
blustery (which happened with a gyn on this thing) go to the ones who
have put in years of study on their specialty and have a lot of knowledge
that they earned through intensive study that takes years and years of
focus.  My own experience says that it is worth it; I'm really looking
forward to correcting something that has worsened over the last dozen
years.

Have to go now.  Steve and I are doing shifts for Chiclet and there is
lot to look up in case it winds up being needed fast, too.  Honestly, her
chances don't look very good, but maybe she will beat the odds.  Maybe it
is raging infection from something hidden that can be found and fixed, or
maybe it will be one of the lower grade malignancies that is so localized
(hopefully in leg rather than innominate) so that amputating her leg can
handle (with or without chemo depending on what consulting oncologists
say).  Meanwhile, she gets Clavamox orally twice a day, Baytril SC once
a day, pathology results are coming in, temp is taken regularly, we keep
her clean and have to cool her in water often, etc.  Oh, she is the
easiest ferret I've ever known for taking a temp on, but I'm the only one
allowed to do it.  She lies on her back in my arms and kisses me during
it even though it is obvious that she dislikes it.